The Top Ten Best Spider-Man Story Arcs

The Top Ten Best Spider-Man Story Arcs

Spider-Man's best moments and best stories.

12430
The Top Ten Best Spider-Man Story Arcs
Cult of Mac

For more than 50 years, Spider-Man has proven to be one of the most popular and revered comic book characters of all time. It is truly amazing--pun not intended--to consider how thoroughly ingrained into pop culture the character has become, appearing in everything from television to film to video games.

Of course, this popularity started with the comics; Spider-Man has starred in many iconic stories that have helped make him as popular as he is today and continue his impact on audiences. Without further ado, here are the top ten Spider-Man story arcs!

#10. “Spider-Verse”

Story: The dimension-hopping vampires known as the Inheritors seek to feed on powerful beings called “totems” in order to make themselves invincible--and every individual with spider-based powers is on the menu. To stop this interdimensional feast, Spider-Man must team up with Spider-People from across the universes, from Spider-Girl to Spider-Ham and beyond.

Why It’s On The List:This story arc by writer Dan Slott may be the least complex or intricate of stories on this list, but I’d be lying if I told you it wasn’t buckets of fun. The web-slinger’s brand of adventure, humor, and action are all here in full force, multiplied by a huge factor thanks to the extradimensional guest stars. On top of that, it is insanely fun and gratifying to point out all of the familiar faces and concepts, cameos, and references to the character’s rich history. This is one wild ride through the multiverse that readers and especially Spider-Man fans will get a kick out of.

#9. “Maximum Carnage”

Story: When the deadly symbiote-human hybrid Carnage escapes from Ravencroft Penitentiary, he and a cadre of supervillains launch a psychotic killing spree. It’s up to Spider-Man, Captain America, Black Cat, and others--including Venom, one of Spider-Man’s greatest foes--to stop Carnage’s plan.

Why It’s On The List: On the surface, “Maximum Carnage” is a popcorn action flick in the form of comic book panels, with plenty of flashy action and art to move the story at a fast pace. Underneath it all, however, there is an interesting moral dilemma that Spider-Man and his allies face: whether or not killing a criminal is right, even if it is to protect people. The story is at its height when it forces this question onto our heroes in numerous ways, eliciting grey answers in the process that encourage productive analysis on the reader’s part. Bolstered by the memorable and colorful art of Mark Bagley, “Maximum Carnage” is an enjoyable and surprisingly thought-provoking read.

#8. “The Wedding”

Story: Peter finally pops the question to the love of his life, Mary Jane Watson. But before the wedding bells can ring, another kind of question looms over the newlyweds’ heads: how will Peter’s being Spider-Man affect the marriage?

Why It’s On The List: Peter Parker’s relationship with Mary Jane Watson is perhaps the most iconic romance in Spider-history and one of the most famous romances in all of comics. This arc was probably the reason, solidifying Mary Jane’s place as both the Lois Lane to Spider-Man’s Superman and one of the most important characters in Spider-Man’s life. Moreover, it was a milestone for Spider-Man lore, as Spidey was for the longest time speculated to remain wifeless for the rest of his days. “The Wedding” showed that though the relationship between Peter and Mary Jane has inherent obstacles, their love and mutual support help them through it all and keep them together as a happy couple.

…well, until “One More Day,” that is…

#7. “Venom” ("Ultimate Spider-Man" #33-39)

Story: In this alternate universe reimagining of the Venom character, a teenaged Peter Parker reunites with one of his best friends, Eddie Brock. It doesn’t take long for the two boys’ friendship to collapse, prompting the latter to bond with an experimental black “suit” that transforms him into a nightmarish monster with one chilling goal: to kill Peter Parker.

Why It’s On The List: When Venom was introduced back in the early-to-mid nineties, he was a novel idea and formidable opponent for Spider-Man; a dark mirror that manifested everything Spider-Man didn’t want to be and inspired fear and doubt in the hero. Over time, the character became somewhat stale and meaningless, and it was up to this story--set in the alternate continuity of “Ultimate Spider-Man”--to bring Venom back to what he was when he first fought Spider-Man. Not only does this new iteration capture that ideal Venom, but it reinvents the character with a new lens and a robust angle. Just like most of “Ultimate Spider-Man,” this story proves that with the right talent and direction, an old idea thought to be rote can be given new life.

#6. “The Death of Jean DeWolff”

Story: Jean DeWolff, an NYPD detective and close friend of Spider-Man, is gunned down in her sleep--and it’s up to Spider-Man and the vigilante Daredevil to find and catch the killer. The task proves difficult, as the race to find DeWolff’s killer turns into a mystery with many questions and few answers.

Why It’s On The List: This story lets us see a morally vulnerable Spider-Man who must decide whether or not he should compromise his morals for vengeance. On the one hand, we don’t want to see him do it--it wouldn’t be normal for the “friendly neighborhood” hero to suddenly give in to vengeful thoughts--but on another hand, we completely understand him. The reader comes to understand that DeWolff’s murder was cowardly, unforgivable, and yet another painful memory to add to Spider-Man’s ever-growing list of losses--as a result, it becomes hard to not see where Spider-Man is coming from when he wants to take the killer’s punishment into his own hands. “The Death of Jean DeWolffe” is a tragic and emotionally resonant story that tests our hero’s capacity for hope and positivity.

#5. “The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man”

Story: Spider-Man pays a visit to a young boy who claims to be his biggest fan and happens to have a stash of memorabilia related to Spider-Man. Spider-Man goes on to relate some anecdotes to the child, and even makes the bold decision to talk about his identity and the events that made him become a hero.

Why It’s On The List: Like any good hero, Spider-Man makes it his responsibility to help people when they need it most. But as this story can attest to, a hero doesn’t always need to save someone from a burning building or foil a robber to help. “The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man” reminds us in the most heartfelt and sincere of ways that true heroes can help people by inspiring them, strengthening them, and lifting their spirits. The story, though melancholic, is hopeful and empowering; it is certainly one of Spider-Man’s finest outings, and one that doesn’t feature a whole lot of fighting or swinging around.

#4. “Kraven’s Last Hunt”

Story: Sergei Kravinoff, also known as Kraven the Hunter, succeeds in defeating Spider-Man after catching the latter off-guard one night. He proceeds to bury Spider-Man alive and then “take his place,” putting on a faux Spider-Man costume to do horrible things in the hero’s name.

Why It’s On The List: This grim and haunting tale was a huge departure for Spider-Man, deciding to dive into some serious psychological storytelling. The story uses the narratives associated with both Kraven and Spider-Man to dig into the struggle between man and persona, exploring the issues of power and meaning associated with that struggle. By far the most memorable scene is when Spider-Man escapes his grave, determined not to fail those he loves and cherishes. The scene and the story as a whole symbolize that for Spider-Man, the man is stronger than the persona--determined, full of purpose, and willing to go the distance to fight for what he believes in.

#3. “Spider-Man No More!”

Story: Burdened by the stress and misery that being Spider-Man brings him, Peter makes the bold decision to give up the mask and live a normal life. Meanwhile, a crime lord calling himself the Kingpin takes advantage of Spider-Man’s absence to rally New York’s criminal underworld.

Why It’s On The List: One of the biggest reasons why people empathize with Spider-Man is because he’s just an average Joe like the rest of us--albeit one with superpowers. He’s not rich, famous, godlike, or an alien from another planet; he’s a down-to-earth, humbler individual with friends, family, school, and a job to worry about on top of keeping New York City safe. “Spider-Man No More!” reflects these sentiments and delves into the pressures Spider-Man faces on a day-to-day basis. It also reflects on how being Spider-Man is a great responsibility--one that requires patience, devotion, and most of all sacrifice.

#2. “The Night Gwen Stacy Died”

Story: When his girlfriend Gwen Stacy is kidnapped by the insidious Green Goblin, Spider-Man leaps into action. Despite Spider-Man’s best efforts, Gwen is killed--ironically, by his own hand--and in a fit of rage he swears to kill the Goblin to end his criminal career once and for all.

Why It’s On The List: I said earlier that Mary Jane was Peter’s most famous love interest, but I didn’t say she was the only one--and she certainly wasn’t the only girl Peter cared deeply about. Gwen and Peter proved to be a perfect couple after constantly dancing around the whole romance question, which made it all the more devastating when poor Gwen met her end in this unforgettable arc. Not since the death of his Uncle Ben in the pages of “Amazing Fantasy” #15 was Peter so overwhelmed by grief and guilt; to this day, Gwen’s death is still deserving of that recognition. This story cemented for Peter the consequences of keeping his loved ones close to him and proved that none of his relationships were safe from the influence of his career as Spider-Man.

#1. “If This Be My Destiny…!”

Story: Peter starts his first day of college, Aunt May falls ill, and a criminal mastermind called the Master Planner seeks to take New York by storm. Will spider powers, hope, and smarts be enough to help Peter overcome these challenges?

Why It’s On The List: Many would agree that “If This Be My Destiny…!” reminds us of why people gravitate toward Spider-Man as a character. While it is certainly notable that he is more youthful than most superheroes, it is the character’s sense of perseverance and determination—not just his age and the circumstances that come with it—that has allowed him to persist through the years. To see him against such adversity in his superhero and personal lives and eventually triumph over said adversity is gratifying, rousing, and above all relatable. “If This Be My Destiny…!” speaks to the essence of the webbed wonder and communicates to readers his most essential and distinct qualities as a character.