5 Non Traditional Christmas Songs If You're Sick Of 'Jingle Bells'

My top five picks for the hidden gems of Christmas songs

581
8tracks

Well guys, it's here. We can no longer fight it, and we just have to accept we're in the full swing of the holiday season. With finals and break just around the corner and Christmas in less than a month away now is the perfectly acceptable time to go holiday crazy (though it's not like you need my permission).

But, if you're like me, the holiday craze wears off pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm still super exited for the holidays, and my heart still swells up whenever I see Christmas lights. But when the excitement starts before Thanksgiving some people are bound to have a burn out in Christmas spirit. And the thing I see most people get sick of first is the radio stations that play the same 5 holiday songs on repeat.

Whether they're temporary up or traditional they're the melodies we all know and have to love at least a little. But we can all defiantly feel that love dwindling after hearing them for the fiftieth time this month.

So I've set out on a quest. A quest to find unique hidden gems of holiday music. Bizarre holiday songs you can jam to after you get super sick of covers of Merry Christmas To You and Winter Wonderland. Songs that may be more cynical toward the holidays, but also might have an important message to tell.

So here they are: My top five non traditional holiday songs!

(P.S. I know all of these songs have reference to Christmas, and I apologize. There's just an over abundance of Christmas music, and it's the music I have the most experience with even though I myself don't celibate Christmas, I celibrate Yule. Just keep in mind this is my personal list of holiday music, and I'm sorry it isn't more diverse. I might make a list of my top non Christmas holidays songs in the future!)

5. All I Want For Christmas Is You- My Chemical Romance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rjrPIGZ5U

First up is a great cover of a classic. While most of us love the Mariah Carey version of this song for it's nostalgia and heartfelt quality this is definitely a fresh look at the song. Defiantly something you can enjoy whether you're into the iconic band or not. Gerard Way's vocals sound almost pained which I think coveys the longing in lyrics better than Mariah Carey.

4. Chiron Beta Prime- Jonathan Coulton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3DyxaCYlfg

This one's a more humorous pick that sci-fi and especially Welcome to Nightvale fans will probably enjoy. The song tells the story of a family banished to an asteroid, working very hard for their robot 'protectors' near the holidays! But they don't let their situation get in the way of them enjoying Christmas!

"This year has been a little crazy for the Andersons. You may recall we had some trouble last year: The robot council had us banished to an asteroid. That hasn't undermined our holiday cheer!"

3. Thank God It's Christmas- Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMpg8vNRZHg

Okay, so you might have heard this one on an oldies rock station this year, but it's a song I know my fellow college students and are really feeling it as the semester comes to a close. I can speak for you all, I think, when I say we're ready for break. I feel like we'll all be singing it heading home next week.

"Oh my love, we've had our share of tears. Oh my friends, we've had our hopes and fears. Oh my friends, it's been a long hard year. But now it's Christmas. Yes, it's Christmas, thank God it's Christmas!"

2. Don't Shoot Me Santa- The Killers, Ryan Pardey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cglLJJ0Czo8

Surprisingly morbid for a Christmas song, but that's one of the reasons I love it so much. This song paints Santa as a vigilante giver of justice to a tortured boy who has supposedly done away with some of the kids in his town for making fun of him.

"Oh Santa, I've been waiting on you.
That's funny kid, because I've been coming for you.
Oh Santa, I've been killing just for fun.
Well the party is over kid, because I, because I got a bullet in my gun!"

"Don't shoot me Santa. I've been a clean living boy, I promise you. Did every little thing you asked me to. I can't believe the things I'm going through. Don't shoot me Santa. No one else around believes me. But the children on the street they tease me, and I could let 'em off that easy."

1. Father Christmas- The Kinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2X0JzlO8SM

Of course, at number 1 is this hidden classic. A Christmas song from a classic punk rock band my sound strange, and it definitely is. This song is about a well meaning Mall Santa who is mugged by a group of kids who declare they have no time for silly toys.

"Father Christmas, give us you're money! We have no time for your silly toys. We'll beat you up if you don't hand it over. We want your bread, so don't make us annoyed. Give all the toys to the little rich boys!"

A song that take a cynical look at children joy for Christmas. But one with an important message many of us need to hear around the holidays about those less fortunate than us, especially children who might not get to celebrate the holidays like you.

"Have yourself a merry merry Christmas. Have yourself a good time. But remember the kids who got nothing while you're drinking down your wine."