visit italy tourist cities
Travel

5 Italian Cities You Can't Miss, And What To Do Once You're There

An ultimate guide to the cities that will blow your mind if you travel to this European country this summer.

105
Ruins in Rome
Arushi Sachan

Every summer, a lot of people I know ask me for tips on traveling around Italy, since it is SUCH a popular vacation destination. I don't blame them, I myself am a sucker for the beautiful country that I backpacked across in 2017.

The Apennine Range, long train rides, endless cliffs and beaches, pizzas and gelato, and not to mention the historic cathedrals and infrastructure are just a few of the things that make this country everything it is. I spent last summer getting certified in Fashion Styling in the fashion capital itself: Milan. Once I got my certificate, I took my backpack and began to explore the nooks and corners of Italy.

Whether you are there for three days, a week, or a month, here is a list of five cities you can't miss:

1. Florence

The Duomo Cathedral, Florence The Duomo Cathedral, Florence, Arushi Sachan

A metaphor for art, this city has you in its palms with its intricacy and details. Every moment of exploring Florence, you'll wonder, 'How; how did they build this? how did they sculpt that?' With hundreds of exchange students from all over the world taking over the hidden antique bookstores, analyzing the famous sculptures (like Michelangelo's David) at museums or in awe of Duomo's perfection, the lightness of this city is ought to make you feel young again.

Excursion: visit Pisa, an hour train ride from Florence and a chance to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

2. Venice

Gandolas in VeniceVenezia, Arushi Sachan

The city where the primary vehicles are boats and gondolas, and roads are buried deep beneath waterways, Venice is surreal for every right reason. Clamped against each other, the buildings painted in bright colors radiate playfulness and romanticism. To have a boat take you through a city as the wind blows your hair and the wine fills your mouth is just the feeling off of a Nicholas Sparks's novel.

3. Rome

The Colosseum, RomeThe Colosseum, Roma, Arushi Sachan

Whether it is walking down alleyways surrounded by shards of architecture intact from even before you were born, or watching everything in your history books come to life, Rome is a time travel capsule that is bound to teleport you to ancient happenings. It also happens to be the home to one of the world's seven classic wonders: The Colosseum. Famous tourist spots like the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, and Spanish steps.

Excursion: Visit the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Square in Vatican City and get a chance to see the Pope, if you are lucky.

4. Naples

Overlooking the cliffs in SorrentoOverlooking the clear blue waters, Sorrento, Arushi Sachan

Naples in the South is the realest of Italian cultural experience you are going to get. But because the city is by the coast, it is also a gateway to tourist spots like Sorrento, Pompeii and Amalfi Coast at a very cheap train rate and Sicily on a ferry boat. While living in those cities could be really expensive, why not live in Naples and take day-long excursions to explore the history in Pompeii, give your adrenaline a rush by climbing Mt. Vesuvius or soak the sun after cliff dives in Amalfi Coast, Sorrento or Sicily?

5. Milan

Galleria Vittotio Emanuele IIGalleria Vittotio Emanuele II, Milano, Arushi Sachan

Milan isn't called the 'fashion capital' of Italy for no reason. The metropolitan city where the biggest designers in the world were made, is also home to some of the world's most beautiful architectural delights like Milan Cathedral, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II and Teatro a la Scala. 'Fancy' is an understatement to describe the lifestyle and dressing sense of people here. Here is where while I studied Fashion Styling, I learned that it is considered entertainment or "people watching," a phenomenon whereby you watch people who walk pass by as you feast on restaurant tables with seats facing the outside.

Excursion:Lake Como, which is a two-hour train ride North of Milan, has you surreal views of alps as you island hop on a cruise.

Lake Como, ItalyWalking through Alleyways, Lake Como, Arushi Sachan

For more travel related articles, check out my travel blog: Trot With Arushi.