7 Activities To Help Beat Back-To-School Stress

Here's a few of my favorite ways to kick back and relax after a long day of classes!

27
woman jogging
Photo by Emma Simpson on Unsplash

1. Music

From Billy Joel to the Jonas Brothers, music has never failed to lift my spirits and brighten my mood! My playlist is all over the place, but the fact that it's mine makes me smile, regardless of the situation. As someone who has no musical talent, it is relaxing to be able to appreciate those who possess this gift. Music truly can speak to your soul, especially when you need it the most.

2. Running

Any type of physical activity helps me to de-stress, but short sprints are the best when I'm having a particularly stressful day. Running gets your endorphins moving and can improve your mood rapidly, especially if you listen to music while you run!

3. Saltwater and Sunshine

Having grown up on an island, I never realized how much I truly loved the ocean and the sunshine until I moved away for college and started having saltwater withdrawals. Imagine if I had gone more than thirty minutes away from the ocean for school! The saltwater and sunshine have a healing element for my mental and physical states that are simply unexplainable. Getting a tan at the same time is pretty sweet, too!

4. Sailing and Surfing (Yes, I'm definitely a water sports person!)

Along with my love for the ocean comes my love of water sports! Some of my best memories have taken place in the water—simply sitting on my surfboard or sailing. I'm fortunate enough to have the ability to sail whenever I want to on our campus waterfront. I've been out on the water seven times in the past three weeks! I definitely attribute a good amount of my mental sanity to sailing—especially during stressful times.

5. My Dog

I have a majestically gorgeous golden retriever. If you can't tell, I'm not afraid to brag about him in the slightest! On some of the most stressful days, I'll curl up with my dog and just hug him for hours on end! He is a little bundle of joy who can always put a smile on my face, no matter the situation!

6. Netflix

This is common knowledge, but binge-watching shows is the answer to almost every problem. It truly is a great way to wind down, especially in the afternoons. I have gotten to the point in my Netflix career where I even have a binge-watching buddy—one of my best friends. We regularly sit down with comfort food and watch six hours worth of You, Parks and Recreation, and other classic shows. It has become one of my favorite traditions!

7. Sleeping Well

Everyone says that getting more sleep is a common de-stressor, but few people actually get the sleep that they need. Instead of staying up and stressing over that chemistry test, try getting a good night's sleep instead! It can do wonders for your health, wellness, and grades!

These seven activities are just suggestions, so I encourage you to find something that works for you! Regardless of the activity, taking time for self-care is a must this semester, so find something you enjoy and stick with it!