Top 5 Movies To See In 2017

Top 5 Movies To See In 2017

2017 is bringing us new movies! Which movies are you excited to see?

50
Top 5 Movies To See In 2017
pexels.com

2016 released some of the best movies to date: Deadpool, Finding Dory, Ghostbusters, The Legend of Tarzan, Moana, and so much more! Everyone loves to snack on popcorn, drink unusually large movie theatre Cokes and watch a good movie. If you're like me, you already have a list of movies you're excited to watch. 2017 is here! You know what that means: brand new movies. Here's a list of the top 5 movies you should see this year:

1. Split (PG-13)

While the mental divisions of those with dissociative identity disorder have long fascinated and eluded science, it is believed that some can also manifest unique physical attributes for each personality, a cognitive and physiological prism within a single being. Though Kevin has evidenced 23 personalities to his trusted psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher, there remains one still submerged who is set to materialize and dominate all the others. Compelled to abduct three teenage girls led by the willful, observant Casey, Kevin reaches a war for survival among all of those contained within him — as well as everyone around him — as the walls between his compartments shatter apart.

This is the perfect psychological thriller! Expected to be released Friday, January 20, 2017, I can guarantee the theatres will be packed. I’m not a fan of horror movies (it’s paranormal horror that I don’t like), so Split will be an interesting thriller for me. I enjoy watching movies that make me think. What makes this movie scarier than the traditional horror story is the fact that Kevin could actually exist. Psychological thriller plots can happen in real life, and sometimes that’s scarier than a ghost. Click here to watch the trailer!

2. Beauty and the Beast (PG)

Belle (Emma Watson), a bright, beautiful and independent young woman, is taken prisoner by a beast (Dan Stevens) in its castle. Despite her fears, she befriends the castle's enchanted staff and learns to look beyond the beast's hideous exterior, allowing her to recognize the kind heart and soul of the true prince that hides on the inside.

This movie is a live-action adaptation of Disney’s version of the classic Beauty and the Beast that opened in theatres in 1991. Everyone knows the tale of Belle and Beast. This movie is expected to be released on Friday, March 17, 2017, and everyone from every town (myself included) will buy a ticket to see it. I speak for many when I say that Disney movies and re-makes will be a weakness forever. My generation grew up with Disney — at least I am excited for this real-life adaptation. Watch the trailer now!

3. Unforgettable (R)

Tessa Connover, Katherine Heigl, is barely coping with the end of her marriage when her ex-husband, David, becomes happily engaged to Julia Banks — not only bringing Julia into the home they once shared but also into the life of their daughter, Lilly. Trying to settle into her new role as a wife and a stepmother, Julia believes she has finally met the man of her dreams, the man who can help her put her own troubled past behind her. But Tessa's jealousy soon takes a pathological turn; she will stop at nothing to turn Julia's dream into her ultimate nightmare.

OK, so I’m mainly excited for this movie because Katherine Heigl is the star! For all of you Grey’s fans out there: you should be excited for this movie, too. Heigl is not your beautiful, scrub-wearing, doe-eyed doctor in this film. She’s sinister. She’s evil. She’s totally badass. This is a thriller that has a rather cliché plot, but who can resist a fatal twist on the traditional girl fight? Watch the trailer now and bathe in Heigl’s perfected snarl and glare that screams, “I know your fate.” Unforgettable is expected to be released on Friday, April 21, 2017.

4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (not yet rated)

Thrust into an all-new adventure, a down-on-his-luck Captain Jack Sparrow finds the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost pirates led by his old nemesis, the terrifying Captain Salazar (Bardem), escape from the Devil's Triangle, determined to kill every pirate at sea — including him. Captain Jack's only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, a powerful artifact that bestows upon its possessor total control over the seas.

This is the long-awaited fifth installment to the Pirates of the Caribbean series. On Stranger Tides was released back in 2011 — too much time has passed since we’ve seen Captain Jack Sparrow on screen! You can’t help but to love this cowardly nutcase. He is, without doubt, the worst pirate we’ve ever heard of. But we have heard of him, and we’re excited to see him back in action. Watch the trailer now and see it in theatre Friday, May 26, 2017!

5. Thor: Ragnarok (not yet rated, likely PG-13)

Not much information has been released about the latest Thor installment, but do we really need a plot summary to go see Chris Hemsworth in theatre? No? That’s what I thought. This movie follows Thor and his mission to confront the gods when Asgard is threatened with Ragnarok, the Norse apocalypse. If you’re like me, a Marvel fan, you can guarantee this movie will be packed full of action. Even better news: Mark Ruffalo is joining the cast as Hulk! I love it when Marvel superheroes make appearances in each other’s movies. Unfortunately, no trailer has been released for Ragnarok yet, but keep your eye out for one! Marvel fans, we’re in for a treat come Friday, November 3, 2017. I know the movie will be worth the wait!