Over the past few days I have found myself staying up until 4 AM watching food and health documentaries. Not only to educate myself on different lifestyles but to also become informed on the different theories and opinions out there about the many aspects of the food industry. I am one who takes everything at face value. If I don't have any preconceived opinion about something or someone, I'm going to believe what I’m told or shown. Ignorance is bliss, right? While this way of thinking can occasionally be beneficial, most of the time it is not.

While the following documentaries listed could be considered very biased, I found the ideas proposed to be quite interesting to ponder while figuring out the lifestyle choices I want to make. Take a look at my top five most intriguing health documentaries that can be found on Netflix, among other places. Even if you’re not interested in specific issues, educating yourself and being able to form your own opinions regarding your health and the the health of our planet is important to be able to live a happy and healthy life.

Sugar Coated (2015)

This film focuses on the food industries lack of awareness and information to the public about the true consequences of consuming as much sugar as we do. Doctors are currently treating the first generation of children with 'fatty liver disease' which the professionals in this film believe is directly related to consumption of sugar. How exactly have we gone so long without hearing the truth from companies? Was the secrecy intentional? Watch to find out.

Food Inc. (2008)

This film is one of the more popular. I first watched this film my junior year of high school and was mortified. The tagline is spot on, "You'll never look at dinner the same way again." While I have not successfully adapted to a meat-free diet, it's something I think about daily after watching this movie. This film is not for the weak-stomached.

Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret (2014)

This film was very interesting because they took a different perspective on the effects of animal consumption. Instead of having a cruelty free outlook and message, this film focuses on the effects of animal agriculture on the environment. It's not secret that our planet is worn down. Something needs to change. You can very obviously tell this films preferred stance on the issue. However, the director of this film takes it upon himself to experiment with different solutions. His journey along the way is also very interesting.

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (2010)

An Aussie took a trip to the United States to road trip while doing a 61-day juice fast. His transformation just over 61 days of solely fruit and vegetable juices is incredible. He interviews and informs people along the way. He helps another man on the journey to a healthy lifestyle and to this day continues inspiring and educating people around the globe. This is where the juice craze is thought to have begun. The educational facts regarding how food is marketed to us and the actual effects of it on our bodies is shown out right in this film.

Super Size Me (2004)

A man eats only McDonalds for one entire month to show the effects of fast food on our body. I don't feel that this needs much more explanation. I think you can imagine how he ended up at the end of the month.