The Top 11 Movies To Watch This Halloween

From Halloweentown to Se7en.

26

As this Halloween approaches (and arrives), here's a list of movies that you should be watching in preparation for your Halloween festivities this year. This is mostly just a list of my personal favorite scary, thriller, and kids movies related to Halloween honestly, but still. Watch them.

11. Halloweentown (1998)

We'll start off this list a little easy with a Disney classic-- Halloweentown! We all remember watching this in our basements with popcorn and a bunch of our friends. This movie isn't so much scary as it is, well, Halloween-y. It holds a lot of good memories, too.

10. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Another childhood classic! This one's a little more traumatic-- I mean, everyone remembers the ending, right? I still cry. Also, Bette Midler and random musical numbers... You can't go wrong.

9. Poltergeist (1982)

Lowkey a terrifying movie (at least the last ten minutes of it). Never trust TVs, house contractors, or clown dolls. Never clown dolls.

8. The Conjuring (2013)

"The Conjuring" is probably one of the greatest horror movies of the present day. Like, it's legitimately scary and mind-bending, without relying too heavily on gore and jump scares. A+ movie, especially for today.

7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

THIS IS HALLOWEEN, THIS IS HALLOWEEN, THIS IS HALLOWEEN. HALLOWEEN. HALLOWEEN.

(And it's almost Christmas. Oh my God.)

6. The Shining (1980)

HERE'S JOHNNY!

And also another one of the greatest thrillers ever. This movie is fundamental for every person to watch, regardless of it being Halloween or not. If you're in the mood to be thoroughly creeped out, "The Shining" should be your go-to.

5. Se7en (1995)

"Se7en" is, without a doubt, the best serial killer movie out there. Suspenseful and emotional, it keeps you on your toes until the literal last minute of the movie. A sure way to feel disturbed this Halloween. WHAT'S IN THE BOX?

4. The Exorcist (1973)

I can't even talk about this one. Everyone knows this movie, everyone knows what it's about, everyone knows the girl's head literally spins in a circle. Just watch it. I'm done.

3. The Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Freddy Krueger is one of the most legendary villains of all time-- and for good reason, too. He's terrifying in both appearance and behavior, and utterly ruthless. Watching "The Nightmare on Elm Street" frankly feels like you're in a nightmare.

2. Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Good evening, Clarice.

My personal favorite villain of all time, Hannibal Lecter is as cold and calculating as he is merciless. More disturbing than terrifying and more creepy than scary, "The Silence of the Lambs" gets into your head just enough that you'll probably have trouble sleeping.

1. Halloween

The iconic Halloween movie... It's literally in the title. "Halloween" is the quintessential Halloween movie. You don't even notice the complete lack of a budget throughout the movie because you're so caught up in the suspense of it all. It feels like Michael Meyers is watching you during the entire movie-- and after, too. This movie literally made Jamie Lee Curtis who she is, and also became one of the greatest Halloween movies of all time.

Honorable Mentions: Psycho; The Birds; Rear Window; Literally Every Alfred Hitchcock Movie That I Didn't Include Because It Would Take Up The Entire List