Top 10 Films To Look Forward To This Fall

List of films to anticipate between now and December 2016.

20
eonline.com

Alright so I've already proven that I'm nowhere near perfect when it came to predicting great summer films, but I am back and determined to get the fall film season right. As there is a shift in the fall from blockbusters to Oscar bait films, a lot of the films in this list will be lesser-known. However, since the entire purpose of a season preview is to illuminate individuals of films they may not have not known about, I am comfortable with this list not having obvious film choices such as "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" and "Doctor Strange."

1. Under the Shadow

The directorial debut of Babak Anvari, "Under the Shadow" follows a mother and daughter living in 1980s Tehran amidst the Iran-Iraq war. After friends and neighbors flee the city from the impending Iraqi air raids, the two are left alone to fend for themselves when a mysterious evil begins to haunt their home. "Under the Shadow" haunts theaters October 7.

2. The Accountant

Ben Affleck stars as Christian Wolff, a freelance accountant who works for criminal clientele. However, when the director of the Treasury Department's Crime Enforcement Division Ray King, played by J.K. Simmons, starts closing in on Wolff, he takes a legitimate client from a state-of-the-art robotics company who's discrepancy involving millions of dollars leads to a rising body count. "The Accountant" will be in theaters October 14.

3. The Handmaiden

From the director of "Oldboy," Park Chan-wook returns with "The Handmaiden," a story of a con man who formulates a plan to defraud a Japanese heiress and swindle her out of her inheritance. A competitor for the Palme d'Or at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, "The Handmaiden" receives a wide release October 21.

4. Moonlight

From the studio behind "Ex Machina" and "The Witch," A24's "Moonlight" is a three-part narrative depicting the childhood, adolescence and adulthood of a man who struggles with his masculinity and sexuality in the drug-induced inner city of Miami. "Moonlight" shines in theaters October 21.

5. Arrival

When large alien spacecrafts begin to land across the world, linguist expert Dr. Louise Banks, played by Amy Adams, is hired by the military to discover if they come in peace. From "Sicario" director Denis Villeneuve, "Arrival" hits theaters November 11.

6. Manchester by the Sea

After his older brother's heart suddenly gives out, Lee Chandler, played by Casey Affleck, is called back to his hometown where he is not only made guardian of his 16-year-old nephew, but also forced to confront a past tragedy. Receiving critical acclaim at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival, "Manchester by the Sea" opens in theaters November 18.

7. La La Land

The follow-up to his directorial debut "Whiplash," Damien Chazelle's "La La Land" tells the story of aspiring actress Mia, played by Emma Stone, and jazz pianist Sebastian, played by Ryan Gosling, trying to make ends meet in Los Angeles. "La La Land" lands in theaters December 2.

8. Rogue One

Perhaps the least known film on this entire list, "Rogue One" is the first standalone film in the Star Wars Universe. Jyn Erso, played by Felicity Jones, leads a group of rebels to steal the plans for the Death Star. From 2014 "Godzilla" director Gareth Edwards, "Rogue One" arrives in theaters December 16.

9. A Monster Calls

A 12-year-old boy calls on a tree monster to help him overcome his mother's terminal illness and bullying at school. Adapted from the book of the same name, "A Monster Calls" will be answered in select theaters December 23 and nationwide January 6.

10. Paterson

Set in Paterson, New Jersey, "Paterson" is about a bus driver named Paterson who lives on a routine lifestyle. Every morning before his shift he writes poems for his wife and every night he walks his dog to the bar for one beer. However, when a small tragedy occurs, Paterson will be forced to upset the status quo. "Paterson" plays in theaters December 28.