My Top 10 Favorite Super Heroes

My Top 10 Favorite Super Heroes

I feel like that's pretty self-explanatory.

39
My Top 10 Favorite Super Heroes
Obivalderobi

Apologies if this article is a bit more low-fi than previous ones. This week has been very busy for me. This list will also be a bit familiar for anyone who follows my site at all. I thought, hey, my Odyssey audience (my "Odyence," if you will) hasn't heard my list of favorite super heroes, so why not share this with them?

So here it is, my Top. 10. Favorite. Super Heroes. Of. All. Time.

Obviously this is entirely subjective. I'm not saying that these super heroes are better than anyone else's favorites (unless their favorite is Deadpool, in which case these characters are so much better). They're just better in my eyes.

10. Victor Stone, Cyborg

A big part of why I was already inclined towards Cyborg is, of course, the "Teen Titans"cartoon from the early 2000's. I always thought he was the coolest member of the team. When I started reading DC Comics, he was promoted to the Justice League, and I found a really likable and engaging character in him. He's a hero always trying to preserve his humanity, and he often feels alienated from others because of his cybernetics. He tries to cover up his insecurities with humor and false confidence. Also his New 52 visual design is really cool, and his powers are pretty awesome. I'm allowed to have my aesthetic reasons.

9. Agent Venom, Flash Thompson

I was always a fan of the old Eddie Brock Venom and even the Mac Gargan Venom, but Flash Thompson has turned into my favorite incarnation of the symbiote warrior (no small part due to the fantastic writing of Cullen Bunn, Rick Remender, and Jeff Parker). Like Cyborg, he's a very human and insecure hero. He is a recovering alcoholic with an abusive father, and he is very regretful of his high school career spent tormenting people like Peter Parker. He is also painfully aware of the fear other heroes feel towards him because of the symbiote and its history, even when he was made an Avenger. This made his joining the Guardians of the Galaxy very satisfying, as this band of rejects accepted him wholeheartedly. Also like Cyborg, I think Agent Venom's visual design is awesome, and I love the powers and gun-toting of this character.

8. Green Lantern, Hal Jordan

Despite my love of the early 2000's "Justice League"cartoon (which is a better cartoon than "Batman: The Animated Series," hands down), when I started reading comic books I always liked Hal Jordan a lot more than John Stewart. Hal Jordan is certainly a cocky guy with a past made up of good deeds and bad, but he is really charming and likable too. He is a hero who enjoys being a hero, and he genuinely wants to help people. The Green Lantern Ring is one of the coolest and most creative weapons introduced by comic books, and Hal Jordan is (in my opinion) the best wielder of those rings.

7. Daredevil, Matt Murdock

I love street-level heroes, and you don't get much more street-level than the Man Without Fear himself, Daredevil. He is among the most skilled hand-to-hand combatants in comic books, and he has one of the most interesting to read about careers given to a super hero. He also has a very volatile personality despite wanting to protect the little guy. This is in no small part due to that he suffers from depression, and his struggles with this make him a very inspiring hero to read about too. Mark Waid's incredible run on the "Daredevil" comic series is what got me attached to the character. Also, Netflix's "Daredevil" television series is absolutely amazing.

6. Hawkman, Carter Hall

A winged warrior with a bad attitude, Hawkman is one of those heroes that I love for their endless rage. Unlike Batman, Hawkman doesn't just brood. He actively takes out his frustration on the bad guys. He doesn't like being a super hero, but he feels that he needs to be one because the world can't take care of itself. I also was a big fan of the New 52 redesign of the character, and I'm very disappointed that he isn't around as much anymore. My website name is the B-List Defender, and my love of Hawkman is a big reason why I use that persona. I can practically feel the raised eyebrows with the inclusion of this character.

5. Green Arrow, Oliver Queen

I tend to like cocky heroes a lot too, and Green Arrow is definitely a prime example of that. He does everything he can to help the little guy despite his repeated failures and difficulty with the super hero game. He never let's this stop him though, and he likes to play at being way better at this job than he is. He's also a self-proclaimed "bleeding heart," and this is another reason I love Green Arrow. I definitely identify myself as a bleeding heart too. Green Arrow does everything he can to help the poor and downtrodden before anyone else. He's also called out Batman on his arrogance, and he has stood up to the rest of the Justice League before, despite being just a rich guy with bow and arrows. I respect this, because he will always stand up for what he believes in. I'm honestly not a big fan of "Arrow." I tried to watch it for a while, and I couldn't get past the melodrama and the fact that they pretty much made Oliver Queen into Bruce Wayne with the brooding and gloominess. That being said, this has never taken away from my love of Green Arrow in the comic books.

4. Hawkeye, Clint Barton

Yes, another archer. In all honesty, I like Hawkeye for a lot of the same reasons that I like Green Arrow. He's really cocky, but he's very genuine in his wanting to help people. Like Oliver Queen, Clint Barton isn't afraid to stand up to the more powerful and intimidating people of his team. Hawkeye has actually stared-down Captain America on many occasions. Hawkeye is a bit more adept at super heroing than Green Arrow, being trained in combat by Captain America. He has been kicked in the teeth many times, but he always gets back up with a quip and a smile on his face. Clint Barton has struggled with self-loathing quite a bit. I like to joke that he is a super hero is not as cool as he thinks he is while simultaneously being way cooler than he thinks he is. He led the Thunderbolts in the old days, and, as those who know me personally can attest, I love the Thunderbolts. As you can tell from the image attached to this list item, I really miss the old Hawkeye costume.

3. The Flash, Barry Allen

Another hero who will never stop doing the right thing, Barry Allen manages to push his near-lightspeed powers to the limit with as much he tries to do for people. He's an optimistic hero will never stop trying to make the world a better place. His main flaw is that he is actually too good, letting down himself and the people close to him because of his constant need to help people. He also struggles with his self-esteem at times, despite being loved by many people in his life. He is genuinely one of the most endearing heroes in comic books, and he is challenged only by Captain America and the Thing of the Fantastic Four in terms of having a really big heart.

2. Power Man, Luke Cage

My most beloved street-level hero, Luke Cage is the quintessential every-man super hero. He had a troubled youth, and he overcame that and false imprisonment to become a family man and a super hero. He will do everything in his power to protect his family and the little guy. He has even been an Avenger, rivaling Captain America in terms of delivering inspiring speeches. He has one of the best bromances in comic books with Iron Fist. At one point he up his own team of community-minded Avengers that had a hotline so that the average person could get in touch with the team when they need help. He also used this team as a means of showing that anyone can be an Avenger, because anyone can help someone who needs it. That may sound corny, but to me, it represents what comic books are all about to me: showing inspiring stories of people helping people. He is just a thoroughly inspiring, relatable, and lovable super hero who does not get as much credit as he deserves. Hopefully the upcoming "Luke Cage" Netflix series will change that. It looks freaking awesome. He also led the Thunderbolts for a while, and I loved that so much.

1. Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier

Bucky Barnes is the hero with whom I most relate. No, I've never been a Soviet super assassin, but his personality kind of represents the average creative-minded and antisocial cynic with self-esteem issues. He has depressive tendencies worsened by the things he was forced to do as the Winter Soldier. Despite having been an Avenger while taking on the role of Captain America, he has never been good in at being in a group, and he is not a leader. Despite all this, he still does what he can to help people. He hates himself, but he doesn't let that stop him from being a hero. He wants to prove himself to himself, Steve Rogers, and everyone else. He wants to be more than his past, and he will do everything in his power to accomplish this. He is always striving to be better, and this makes him very relatable to me. He is actually leading the Thunderbolts right now, and that's just freaking amazing.

And those are my 10 Favorite Super Heroes. I've probably revealed a lot more about myself than I intended with this, but, what can you do. I hope you enjoyed it. I don't know when I'll do another list on here. If you want more lists from me as well as general content like this, don't forget you can check out my site, blistdefender,com.