The Top 10 Disney Classic Remakes Coming To Theaters Soon

Have we entered the remake renaissance?

25
Odyssey

Like Superhero movies, Disney classic remakes have been taking the movie scene by storm. In the last five years alone, we've seen remakes for classics such as "Cinderella," "Sleeping Beauty," "The Jungle Book," and most recently, "Beauty and the Beast." These films have been overwhelmingly popular, despite mixed reviews from critics and commentators. Keeping the train going, Disney has since confirmed almost 22 remakes of Disney classics. These remakes are scheduled over the next 10 years and have already confirmed some of the most sought-after actors, directors and producers in Hollywood. It is clear that Disney fans and Disney creators are fully behind this resurgence of some of our most beloved classic animated films.

1. "Mulan."

Mulan might just be the most beloved Disney princess. She's independent, loyal and totally kickass. So when Disney confirmed that the animated film would be getting a reboot in November of 2018, the fan base went nuts. Nicki Caro is set to direct the film, becoming only the second woman to direct a Disney production under over $100 million. That being said, fans are starting to worry after hearing rumors that the film remake will contain none of the original songs, and Le Shang, the lead male, will not be included.

Regardless of the rumors, hopefully we'll see another smash hit remake for this Disney gem.

2. "The Little Mermaid."

Now, this remake is a bit of an odd bird. "The Little Mermaid" remake is a bit up in the air as of this moment. Disney originally confirmed that they would be doing a remake of this aquatic classic, although Universal is already working on one of their own, which differs quite a bit from the original story. In the next few years, we may seen more than one remake, or possibly, none at all.

3. "The Lion King."

As Disney's highest grossing animated film from the Disney Renaissance, it's no surprise that this classic is set to get a remake as well. The film will be directed by Jon Favreau, who was also the direct of the highly successful remake of "The Jungle Book" from last year.

4. "Cruella de Vil."

Although this film won't be be coming to theaters for a few years, it's already creating quite a buzz. The adaptation of "101 Dalmatians" will receive 'The Malificent Treatment' and tells the story of a younger Cruella before the fur coats and accounts of puppy kidnapping. Emma Stone is essentially confirmed to be playing Ms. de Vil, and I for one am excited to see how she takes on such an iconic character.

5. "Aladdin."

Like "The Little Mermaid," we may be seeing more than one "Aladdin" adaptation coming to theaters. Originally, Disney was set to create "Genies," a prequel to the events of "Aladdin," featuring the beloved Genie. Later, Disney also announced a desire to remake the original "Aladdin," as well. Rumors have been flying whether or not the first idea has been scrapped, but nothing has been confirmed for certain.

6. "Tink."

The talented Reese Witherspoon is set to take on another iconic role. Disney is set to remake "Peter Pan," but also announced its plans for "Tink," a live-action film dedicated to the snarky, sassy Tinkerbell.

7. "Dumbo."

Was anyone else scared of "Pink Elephants on Parade" as a child? Don't look now, but it might be getting a whole lot weirder. Tim Burton has been confirmed as the director for the live-action remake of "Dumbo," which sounds both odd and oddly fitting.

Hopefully Burton will take "Dumbo" in a new direction, away from some of the more controversial elements of the original animated film.

8. "The Sword and the Stone."

This remake could be a complete wildcard in the lineup of Disney animated remakes. "The Sword and the Stone" follows a young, orphaned King Author, and the events leading up to pulling the sword from the stone. "Game of Thrones" writer and producer Bryan Cogman is set to write the remake, so we could be seeing a very different take on this classic.

9. "Prince Charming."

Prince Charming is getting his own movie. I know, trying to contain your enthusiasm. Disney has confirmed that they intend to create a film starring Prince Charming, exploring the archetype and flushing out a character who has been historically known for his pretty face, and little else.

10. "Pinocchio."

And finally, we'll be seeing a live-action adaption of the classic "Pinocchio." Little is known on the film, as it is one of the newest confirmed remakes, but we can expect to see a loosely based retelling of the 1940s animated movie.

There are several more Disney remakes that are scheduled to take place, and plenty of opportunities for us as fans to get nostalgic all over again. What was your favorite? Which film are you most excited for?