hidden gems in usa

Hidden Gems In Every State

it took me two days to find anything interesting to do in Nebraska

407
Hidden Gems In Every State

I have big plans once I'm through with school to travel this vast country, so I thought for both yours and my sake, I would compile a list of the best off-the-beaten path places to visit in each state!

Dismals Canyon (Alabama) 

Tucked away in Franklin county is this secret oasis known as dismal canyon. Looking through all the pictures of this place makes me want to travel there immediately and i can honestly say I've never actually wanted to go to Alabama before. It's open to the public 11-5 except on weekends where it opens at 9am. The canyon can be found at 901 County Rd 8, Phil Campbell, AL 35581

Goose Creek Tower (Alaska)

Often referred to as the Dr. Seuss house the goose creek tower stands multiple stories tall in Telkeetna Alaska. This is a unique attraction because of the fact that you can not actually visit it and can only view it via the Alaskan railroad. The home is said to be unfinished so hopefully, it only gets bigger and better.

Bedrock City (Arizona) 

Everyone can now visit their favorite TV town in the form of a campground in Williams Arizona. This campground is full of little hidden nods to the Flintstones and features a diner and a shop. You can visit this and have a yabba-dabba-doo time at 101 US-180, Williams, AZ 86046

The Old Mine (Arkansas) 

Man, I really under estimated the state of Arkansas, considering this looks straight out of a Thomas Kinkade painting. This mill is located in T.R Pugh Memorial Park and from what I've read is very easy to find. Notably this mill was used in the movie "Gone With the Wind" which I've never seen, but I assume someone will be excited by that fact. The park can be found at 3800 Lakeshore Dr, North Little Rock, AR 72116.

Pirate Tower  (California) 

Wow. Genuinely as much as i already knew California owned my heart before it certainly does now. This is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen and definitely feels other-worldly. From what I've read, parking is a bit difficult and you should bring water shoes as the shores are quite rocky. Its on Victoria beach and can be found at 2713 Victoria Dr, Laguna Beach, CA 92651

Salvation Mountain (California) 

Okay yes i am fully aware i already covered California but it needed to have two spots because this place is so beautiful and would look great on my Instagram. If you're a fan of Kesha, this probably looks familiar as she shot "Praying" here just a little fun fact. It can be located at Beal Rd, Calipatria, CA 92233

The Stanley Hotel (Colorado) 

Built in 1909, this historic hotel as you can see is stunning but also quite haunting. The Stanley for many years now has been a destination for horror lovers as it was used in Stephen King's "The Shining". And is the place King said he has the worst dreams of his life. The hotel is still in operation and you can stay there 365 days of the year for quite fair prices. The hotel is located at 333 E Wonderview Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517 and is said to be one of the most haunted places in the country so stay at your own risk.

Holy Land USA (Connecticut) 

This now abandoned theme park that was once inspired by different passages of the bible closed in 1984. Now that being said, it is still visited by daring tourists who happen to like abandoned places. You can visit at Slocum Road, Park on street and walk up, Waterbury, CT 06706

Winterthur Enchanted Woods (Delaware) 

This adorable little slice of a fairy tale is perfect especially for anyone with younger kids. There is a museum on site as well as multiple fairy tale inspired sports to stop and explore. The entrance can be found at 5105 Kennett Pike
Winterthur, Delaware, 19735

Manatee Springs (Florida) 

How cool would it be to swim among the gentle giants known as manatees? Well take a trip down to Florida and all your wildest dreams could come true! They are open 8-5 daily and are located at 11650 NW 115 St, Chiefland, FL 32626.

Doll's Head Trail (Georgia) 

Located inside Constitution Lakes park, there is an actual trail that is decorated with dismembered dolls. This is everyone who hates their parents and shops at Hot Topic's dream. I would for sure go down the trail since I never pass up a photo opportunity, but I am still quite confused on who thought this trail was a good idea.

Black Sands Beach (Hawaii) 

Please point me to any place that is this beautiful. The black sand with the blue water and how lush the greenery is makes this the ultimate island getaway, and no one can convince me differently. Located in Maui, this place, I would imagine, is a tourists dream, but is actually rarely ever crowded. You can visit for yourself if you ever find yourself in Hawaii at Waianapanapa State Park, Hana, HI 96713

Shoshone Falls (Idaho) 

When I think Idaho, I think potatoes and well that's about it. However, now when I think about this state, I can think of probably the prettiest waterfall I've ever seen (sorry Niagara). If you want to visit this gem in person you can find it at 4155 Shoshone Falls Grade, Twin Falls, ID 83301

Obama Kissing Rock (Illinois) 

Good to see the great city of Chicago showing respect to the greatest president of all time with this adorable monument. This rock located at 53rd and South Dorchester in front of a subway and marks where Barack first kissed Michelle.

New Harmony Labyrinth (Indiana) 

Have you ever seen Alice in Wonderland? If so try and tell me this doesn't look like the maze Alice got stuck in. I picked this location because I'm fascinated because of how green and lush it is and I desperately want to make my way through it. If you also desire walking through it you can find it at 301 North St, New Harmony, IN 47631

High Trestle Trail Bridge (Iowa) 

Now imagine riding your bike or running through this...you would feel like you were going through a time machine! This unique piece of art is part of a 25 mile trail and can be located in Madrid Iowa.

Oz Museum (Kansas)

Okay I will admit I am the world's biggest Wizard of Oz fan. I truly believe it is the greatest cinematic movie ever made and here, I can fully immerse myself in the magic of my favorite film. The museum is full of memorabilia from the film as well as related films like The Wiz and the Broadway play Wicked. You can find the museum just off I-70 on Kansas highway 99 on "The Road To Oz"

FunTown Mountain (Kentucky)

The now abandoned park opened in 1969 and only just recently closed in 2013 due to losing popularity. The park was heavily inspired by the Wild West, and was a huge success upon opening. The park reopened under the name "Guntown" this year but the remains of Funtown can still be found on an upper lot of the park. If you're interested you can locate the theme park at 101 Huckleberry Knob Rd, Cave City, KY 42127

JazzLand (Louisiana) 

Okay, talk about my dream! I have always wanted to explore an abandoned carnival and it looks like my chance exists in Louisiana. This exists within the closed six flags park and is constantly explored by curious people. You can visit if you wish at Six Flags Pkwy, New Orleans, LA 70129

Stephen King's House (Maine)

Horror fans rejoice! You can actually visit the King (pun intended) of horror movies home! The home is said to give off a very spooky vibe, which is right on brand. However, it is a home he does still own and reside in, so it's asked that you don't loiter or trespass. If you like me are a huge King fan you can visit this house on 13th Street in Bangor, Maine

Enchanted Forest Pine Tree Maze (Maryland) 

Found on Clark's Elioak Farm, this is a little fairy tale getaway that can be enjoyed by all ages. The forest is scattered with little nods to all the childlike things you love and makes anyone feel that nostalgia of when they were a kid again in this land of make believe. The farm can be found at 10500 Clarksville Pike, Ellicott City, MD 21042

Dr Seuss Museum (Massachusetts) 

Opened in Springfield in 2017, this Museum opened as a tribute to the man behind our childhood. The museum is accompanied with a sculpture garden of Dr. Seuss and some of his most famous creations. It's open daily 10-5 and can be located at 21 Edwards St, Springfield, MA 01103

Turnip Rock (Michigan) 

This beautiful natural wonder is located in Lake Huron and has become quite the tourist attraction. I know I'd be the one that would try to climb it just because I'm just that impulsive! This should be considered the only positive thing in Michigan.

Paisley Park (Minnesota) 

This needs to be at the top of the bucket list for any Prince fan. This once private estate of the late singer is now a tourist attraction that people come from all over the world to visit and reminisce. He not only lived here, but also recorded here and the guided tour will take you through all the ins and outs of the incredible life lead inside these walls. If you are someone interested in visiting you can find the estate at 7801 Audubon Rd, Chanhassen, MN 55317

Birthplace of Kermit (Mississippi)

Located in Leland Mississippi is a small Jim Henson exhibit dedicated to him and his most famous creation, Kermit the frog, including a real Kermit puppet in a showcase (which I think is such a cool thing). If you want to visit and remember this incredible man and all he did in his life, you can find the museum at 415 s deer creek drive east Leland

Ha Ha Tonka Castle Ruins (Missouri)

Different from other ruins on this list, these are ruins that are open to the public and have specific hours 7am-8pm otherwise it is monitored and cannot be visited. The castle was built in 1905 and after it was destroyed in the 40's, the state bought it as part of a national park.

Grasshopper Glacier (Montana) 

Located in the Beartooth Mountains this beautiful gem is one that a lot of people don't know exists. The glacier is slowly melting, which is a shame, and is making the water increase in cold temperatures. However, it doesn't take away from it's natural beauty.

Oregon Trail (Nebraska)

Looking for something exciting to do in this state took two days...and I wish I was kidding. Eventually, I settled on the Oregon Trail, which may not be a tourist attraction that you actually want to visit, but you can pull a Louis and Clark and just go on a exploration for a day!

Area 51 (Nevada) 

Easily the most mysterious place in the world, this Military base existence wasn't even confirmed until 2013. This is the most secure military base in the world, and you will be arrested for even crossing the line into the area without proper accreditation. The base is located off the extraterrestrial highway and is considered to be where all information regarding alien life is stored. The closest place of civilization to Area 51 is the small town of Rachel. Rachel caters to alien lovers with shops and restaurants that are alien themed, as well as locals who will talk your ear off with conspiracy theories about their mysterious neighbors. If you are feeling brave, you can go to the entrance of this facility...but do so at your own risk.

Parrish Shoes Sign (New Hampshire) 

If you have ever seen the movie "Jumanji", I'm positive this looks familiar to you as it was used in the movie starring the late and great Robin Williams. In early 2015, this became a memorial for the star who tragically passed away. Williams meant a great deal to this city, and was even awarded the key to the city, which is no small feat. If you are a fan of his, this is a must see and can be located at 2 West Street Keene NH

Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco (New Jersey)

Known by horror movie fans as the famous Camp Crystal Lake from Friday the 13th, this boy scout camp is a must see for any fan of the slasher film. While I don't believe the Crystal Lake sign is still there (don't quote me on that), you can still recognize the surroundings if you've seen the film. The address for the camp is 11 Sand Pond Rd, Hardwick, NJ 07825...just try to go when camping isn't in session.

White Sands (New Mexico)

This place looks straight out of dream and I'm telling you, if going on drives through the desert looked like this, I wouldn't want to jump out the car as much during them. Located in the Tularosa Basin this should be considered a wonder of the world.

Pier 54 (New York)

Especially at night, this is a beautiful place that holds a history that for some is quite overwhelming. Pier 54 was the arrival point for the Titanic before it hit the iceberg. I have always been so fascinated with the ship and the tragic story of its demise, and coming to this place would be both haunting and emotional. It's location is West Street and 13th Street, New York, NY 10014

Land of Oz Theme Park (North Carolina) 

This failed theme park of my dreams has been out of operation for some time and is now only open on very select dates for private tours. The park is full of nods to the classic film, which includes the yellow brick road and Dorothy's house as well as people dressed as the beloved characters. If you wish to visit it's located in Beech Mountain, North Carolina

Albino Buffalos (North Dakota) 

Much like Nebraska, this is a very boring state. The only difference is that I found something in Nebraska eventually and here I settled on animals, so if you live there I'm so sorry. These animals are three of the only albino Buffalo living today and if you can spot them, you'll get to witness their beauty.

Christmas Story House and Museum (Ohio) 

Confession time: I've never actually seen this movie. Now hold your pitch forks...that doesn't mean I don't understand what a classic film it is, and I appreciate the meaning it has to people, which is why it made this list (I did this for you!). They have turned the house from the movie into a museum full of memorabilia and a gift shop with all of the iconic items such as the leg lamps and bunny pink pajamas. The house is located at 3159 W 11th St, Cleveland, OH 44109

Blue Whale of Catoosa (Oklahoma) 

A man made this as an anniversary gift (can we say extra?). Located on old route 66, this has become a very popular destination and I can see why, it's cute! If you wish to visit this Jonah and the whale vibes attraction you can find it at 600 Rte 66, Catoosa, OK 74015

The Witch's Castle (Oregon) 

The ruins of the castle are located on the lower Macleay Trail, and has become a popular spot among hikers. There is a lot of speculation about murders that happened in these ruins thus making them also popular among fans of the paranormal, so visit at your own risk,

Centralia (Pennsylvania) 

If you have ever seen the greatest horror movie of all time, Silent Hill, this abandoned town will look familiar. In 1962, this town was set on fire from underneath and in 2002 the town was declared unlivable. By 2013, the town was down to only seven of the more than 1000 original residents. The creator of Silent Hill used this town to base the town in the movie off of which is obvious if you watch the film with knowledge of Centralia.

The Enchanted Forest (Rhode Island) 

Opened in 1971, this amusement park closed for good in 2005 and over the years has slowly been wooded up. However there are still a few standing structures and a mini golf course that you can slide through a broken fence to explore. The park is located in Hopkinton Rhode Island.

St. Helena Island (South Carolina) 

Now when I think South Carolina, I don't normally think palm trees and beaches, but I am certainly impressed. I like that there is this little island getaway I never knew about and find it incredibly alluring.

Rushmore Cave (South Dakota) 

This is the closest cave you can go into to Mount Rushmore, which is super historical! I have never actually explored a cave but would highly consider breaking that for this natural beauty. If you like me are interested in visiting you can find it at 13622 SD-40, Keystone, SD 57751

Graceland (Tennessee)

I consider Elvis Presley to be the greatest entertainer of all time and this is a holy land for me. Ever since I was aware of Graceland, I have wanted to visit and pay my respects to the late King of Rock n Roll. The estate that was once home to Elvis now stands as a museum and guided tour for admirers. If you wish to visit the kings home you can find it at Elvis Presley Blvd, Memphis, TN 38116

Jacob's Well (Texas)

Seeing pictures of this place, I truly can not believe it was naturally made because it's so unbelievably beautiful. Now while it's beautiful, it is extremely dangerous and more than a few people have died swimming in this natural wonder.

Up House (Utah) 

Disney fans rejoice! Someone with the time and the money that I don't have recreated the Up house! This little home in the middle of a pretty dull area is such a breath of fresh air and is such a nostalgia point for anyone that loves the movie as much as I do. If you would like to visit the house is at 13218 S Herriman Rose Blvd, Herriman, UT 84096-5729

Old Red Mill (Vermont) 

This stunning Thomas Kinkade type dream is open to the public, but sadly only on weekends! I've read that autumn is the best season to visit, as the colors make it look even more like a dream. So if you do wish to visit, you can at 4A Red Mill Dr, Jericho, VT 05465

Presidents Heads (Virginia) 

Who needs Mount Rushmore? Not me! I am more interested in basically a run down park of giant busts. As of now, the park isn't kept up and a lot of the busts have cracked, but it is still a place worth wandering around.

Thornewood Castle (Washington) 

The castle makes a third of the Thornewood estate and as it stands today is a 500-year-old building full of mystery. It is both a bed & breakfast and a tour site that can also be used for private events. This is my home state and I still haven't made my way to this legend, so possibly that's my next trip. If you wish to visit the estate its address is 8601 N Thorne Ln SW, Lakewood, WA 98498

The Exorcist Steps (Washington D.C)  

After reading reviews, I can tell that these stairs are way steeper than they seem in both pictures and the movie, so if you don't want to walk up and down them, people suggest you park at the top and just view from there. This is a must see location for any fan of the iconic horror movie.

Lake Shawnee Amusement Park (West Virginia) 

This is the creepiest but also the coolest place on this list thus far. What once was a thriving theme park is now grown over ruins that unlike most you are actually able to legally go visit! Just call the number you see when you look the park up and they'll set you up a tour in as little as a days notice. The address is 470 Matoaka Rd, Rock, WV 24747

Apostle Island National Lakeshore (Wisconsin) 

Wisconsin has more than cheese...who knew? This beautiful natural structure connects 21 islands and is a popular attraction or boaters and swimmers alike. It's located at 415 Washington Ave, Bayfield, WI 54814

Leigh Lake (Wyoming) 

This 2.8 mile lake surrounded by mountains is located in Grand Teton National Park and is every hiker and photographers dream location. The best time to visit this is around the fall or winter, as you either get a winter wonderland or a picture perfect fall day. It's a win win!