The 12 Lessons You Never Realized Snape Taught You

And so, we raise our wands.

760

It is never easy to lose someone, and it is especially not easy to lose someone to such an aggressive illness, such as cancer. A few short days ago, the world mourned the loss of a talented actor and human, Alan Rickman. Yet, there is hope, even in the darkest of situations. Rickman’s talent will live on in the movies he has left us, the characters he has encompassed and the compassion he has lived by. It is through the beauty of legacies that we are left with a temporary goodbye.

Snape is a reminder of all the great things we should remember in our continued battle for justice. He taught us many lessons, including the most important: love will always trump darkness.

1. Self-sacrifice is our greatest strength.

Throughout Snape's years as a student at Hogwarts; he lost his best friend, love of his life, and was mocked by the individuals she associated herself with. Snape even in the most trying of times loved Lily. He protected her and her son, Harry. Snape gave himself to protect the Boy Who Lived -- making him a hero in "Harry Potter." Life is not about revenge, but overcoming difficulties.

2. True love is a rare yet beautiful gift.

Through all the mocking, the inability for true love, and the death of his one true love, Snape was changed. He saw sorrow, but through it, all his motive was was protecting Harry. Without the love
he felt for Lily, Snape would never have become the man we all know and love. Don't live every day looking for love because often it will appear in the magic of our talents.

3. You only know as much as someone shows you.

Snape was one of the main characters in "Harry Potter," yet little is know about the man. It wasn't until "The Half-Blood Prince" and "Deathly Hallows" that Potter fans got a glimpse into Professor Snape. For the majority of the series, we believed Snape was a Death Eater, determined to kill Harry Potter. Yet Snape went behind the Dark Lord to save Harry Potter. Remember always not to judge a book by its cover.

4. Nobody’s perfect.

Even Dumbledore himself lied to Harry Potter. While lying is never the solution, sometimes to protect someone we have to refrain from the truth. Dumbledore's lie was to protect Harry for believing his life was all for nothing, while Snape lied to protect him for facing the same fate as his parents. Even when our motives may not always appear good, if we believe in the truth, we will always conquer our mission.

5. Love doesn't always come in the form of hugs and kisses.

Dumbledore, understanding the friendship and loyalty Snape felt, knew he was the only individual able to kill him. In the killing of Dumbledore, Snape showed his true loyalty and love. He also taught us that love doesn't mean hugs and kisses but compassion and loyalty.

6. A hero is often hidden in the midst of evil.

If you remember in the "Deathly Hallows" Snape's flashback shows a scene between himself and Dumbledore. In this scene, we see Snape's true colors; he trusted the greatest wizard of all time to protect the love of his life. Dumbledore failed, yet Snape never stopped loving Lily or her family. He completed the job that Dumbledore never did, yet never played the hero.

7. It is hard to let go.

If you have ever been in love then you understand the pain and frustration that can come with walking away. For Snape, he longed after Lily his entire life, even when she got married. He showed us the difficulty behind walking away.

8. Promises should always be kept.

"Always" keep your promises. If it wasn't for Snape, Draco Malfoy may never have become the man he did. Read here to find out where J.K. Rowling said Draco Malfoy is now: http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/Where-Draco-Malfoy-....

9. There is a place for everyone in this world.

"One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."
—Harry Potter telling his son Albus Severus Potter about Severus Snape, "Deathly Hallows"

One of the most touching moments in "Harry Potter" was the final scene at the train station. Harry explains to his son the great wizard Severus Snape when he is afraid to be place in Slytherin.

10. Don't let others define you.

Snape was often the butt of jokes and a lack of respect, especially in earlier books/movies. In "The Prisoner of Azkaban," Snape defends Harry, Ron, and Hermione against Professor Lupin
when he turns into a werewolf. Through all the lack of respect, Snape sacrifices himself for Harry and the protection and discipline of good, in the magical world.

11. Everyone is connected.

One of the greatest moments in "Harry Potter" was the discovery of what the "Deathly Hallows" meant. Yet, have you ever thought about this theory? The theory that Voldemort, Snape, and Harry Potter are the modern day children's story. In Harry Potter, everyone was connected.
Through the modernization of the "Deathly Hallows," it shows that Snape was connected to the good and the evil. Yet through it all, good won.

12. Die with dignity.

For our generation, we will never forget "Harry Potter," and especially the man Professor Snape became. I hope you all find someone who loves you as much as Snape loved Lily.

Rest in peace to a legend.