To The Year Of Me

To The Year Of Me

2017 is all about discovering who I am.

50
Shawnna Grace

I have continuously been pondering about what major goal I could set for myself in 2017. My new year resolutions tend to never happen, as I lose the ambition to complete what I want to achieve. I decided my goal this year is to focus on myself.

I've deemed 2017 as "the year of me". Now, I don't say this to be selfish. I'm not forgetting those around me and the contributions I can make to peers and society. What I do mean is I want to work on myself. With the way my 2016 went, and even the first few days of the new year I think this goal is much needed. Between the negative “friendships” I had in my life, to even toxic family members, this year is about forgetting the past and leaving the negative people behind.

I have decided that I am going to concentrate on the positive and very influential people I am blessed to have in my life. I need to focus on the person I want to become, and go after the dreams I have for my career.

The past few months, I have learned so much about those around me. I've learned about their beliefs, values, etc. They've given me insight into the world around me. They've taught me things and showed me different perspectives that I've never even thought to look at.My goal for 2017 is to find me. I am no longer confined to the people holding me back. I am now able to have my own thoughts and beliefs about the world around me. It's time to find who I am and what I believe. It's time to focus on me, rather than what the world around me wants me to be. It is time for me to stop letting rumors, and hateful words define me and time to create my own definition of who I truly am. While I try to identify myself, I plan to hold strong to my Christian beliefs that will continue to define me, no matter how I end up finding myself.

I don't know what the future holds.Being in college the next four years of my life seemed planned out, and those plans were quickly replaced with confusion and doubt. I don't know what I want to do in my life. I'm no longer passionate about many of the dreams I've held since my early childhood.

Here's to the year of me. The cliché saying "new year, new me" maybe my mantra for the upcoming year. Additionally, I chose to hold onto the following verse as I plan to find my true self while also pursuing my identity in Christ:

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings." 1 Peter 5: 6-9

Here is to 2017 and everything it holds for me. 2017 will be the magnify glass I place on myself. xx