To The Shooting That Happened At My School

Oh, how your smile will never get old.

268
fox10tv

You hear about them on the news and on social media. You feel bad of course. For the innocent lives taken along with others affected, but at the end of the day you think to yourself, "A shooting wouldn't happen here, not in this little gorgeous town of friendly, down to earth college kids and locals. I can't imagine having a close friend or a person I know pass away like that. I just can't imagine it happening to me." But we also have to understand that anything can happen, you never really know, and that us students and faculty of NAU were about to endure the biggest tragedy to happen on Northern Arizona University campus in its history.

I remember the day perfectly. On Oct. 9, 2015, I woke up to 20 missed calls and text messages from worried parents and concerned family and friends, along with the majority of us NAU students. I immediately turned on the TV, as the incident was dominating the news. Over and over again, I heard my school's name from various news reporters. I saw pictures of the streets that I drive everyday, pictures of the dorm I lived in during my sophomore year, people's names that so many of us knew being spoken of in the news, all seeming so surreal. The last thing you would want your school being blasted for on the Internet and news for is a tragic shooting. It's also the last thing we all thought would happen during our college experience.

I decided to put the pictures that I saw on TV to life as I nearly drive two miles to see about 15 officers, 10 cop cars, a bunch of caution tape everywhere and vans with news reporters near the scene. As this is a typical routine investigation that occurs with law enforcement and the media during a tragic event / crime scene, it was surreal to see vans and reporters from Fox, ABC and CNN everywhere. All I kept thinking was why? Why here? Why my college? Why us students? Why did it have to happen at my school? Please tell me this is a bad dream that we will eventually wake up from. Later that night, I went to my serving job at a local restaurant in town, and from the minute I walked in, the mood was different, dull, barely positive and down. The energy and light that is usually given off at work wasn't there, as it affected customers and dominated the conversations with my tables. There has never been a night like that since.

To the shooting that happened at my school. You were nothing but an unexpected tragedy. But as time heals every wound, things slowly, but surely, started to turn around.

To the shooting that happened at my school. You brought us together in a way that we have never been before, as thousands of us students held a vigil only hours after Colin's death, came together in tears and hugged each other in a way that we have never hugged before -- a hug without words, and of love, care and gratitude.

To the shooting that happened at my school. We all realized the meaning of life and to not take it for granted. We know not to take others for granted and to realize how blessed we are to be given each day, as life is too short to worry about the little things, hold grudges and to not live and laugh endlessly.

To the shooting that happened at my school. You gave gratitude a new meaning, as we realized how lucky we are to wake up early even when we don't want to, or dread sitting through an eight-hour work shift, because in the long run, our health, wellness and happiness are what matters. We also realize how lucky we are to be blessed with such good friends, family and the support system that we have for each other. We tend to take for granted the little things, however, during the aftermath, we stop and think for a minute and realize how lucky we are to be breathing.

To the shooting that happened at my school. You taught us all a lesson of life, of gratitude and of immense strength as we live and breathe for Collin each day, remembering him in a positive light, grateful for the time that many of us got the opportunity of spending with him.

To the shooting that happened at my school. You made a legal decision that should of been made long ago. A few months after the incident, the Arizona Board of Regents voted upon no guns on Arizona State University, University of Arizona and most importantly, Northern Arizona University. It took someone's life to get this law passed, but it will sure be beneficial to the lives it saves in the future.

To the shooting that happened at my school, you will always leave a mark, and have a place in our hearts for the one who deserves to be here today, Collin Brough.