To The Parents Of A Special Needs Child

To The Parents Of A Special Needs Child

You are so much more than the world will ever give you credit for.

25
To The Parents Of A Special Needs Child

To The Parents With The Special Needs Child,

I apologize on our society's behalf. I'm sorry that we live in a world that is quick to judgement and mockery, and slow to love and compassion. I'm sorry that children have been raised to stare as opposed to accept, taught to laugh instead of having a heart. I'm sorry that bullying and pestering has become an utter uncontrollable epidemic. But you have a high level of dignity and take harsh critics, spiteful remarks, and the abundance of stares with grace.

While other parents are busy being applauded for their child's ability to fit into the hippest, most popular, gotta be so infamously well known social clique, your countless efforts go seemingly unnoticed. While these parents will someday consider their job done, you will all the while be raising, knowing that your job will never come to an end. They sleep a full uninterrupted eight hours, while you may be lucky to sleep three, depending upon what kind of night it is. These mom's are busy about buying the cutest pair of boots, what color they'll dye their hair next, or scheduling their latest manicure and you cannot even recall the last time you did something for yourself.

You have no choice. You didn't pick this life, it chose you. But now, you'd choose it no other way.

At first, you were probably overwhelmed and thought there was no way you could ever do it. Now, looking back, you probably have no idea why you ever doubted yourself. You have surprised yourself with your mighty courage and strength, let alone those around you. Those who questioned how you'd do it, but never really seemed to offer to lend a hand.

You have a patience far greater than we could ever possibly think of attaining.

You are slow to anger. You are cautious and careful. You extend a gentle hand of mercy, repeatedly. You continually sacrifice your own wants, for your child's every need, no matter the cost.

You give a love we have never dreamed of giving.

You give real love, we do not. You have a deep level of compassion, one that the closest we know we will ever get to is to see it through extended through you.

There is bad days and there are good days. You never fail to manage each, head held high.

Even on the days others thought you might not get through, you never once blinked.

You cannot promise your child a future at an Ivy League school, and maybe even a future period, but you always give your child your best. While others are awaiting their child to cross the finish line, you have found there is no need for it. You appreciate the small victories.

While we see you as supermom/dad, your child sees you as something greater. You are their nurse, their therapist, their go to, their number one fan, their selfless greatest friend who will never leave them. You are so much more than the world will ever give you credit for.

You are the true heroes, the Nobel prize winners, the ones worth receiving a Grammy or a Golden Globe.

Society may not be capable of promising you a single thing, but I sure am.

I promise that someday when I have children and we're shopping in the grocery store and he/she may point at your child, I will not scoop him up, run out of the aisle, find myself red faced and humiliated, and I will not hush him with my shameful whispers. Instead, I will talk about differences, but I will also talk about our children's likewise attributes.

I promise that if today I should walk past the toy section and your child be crying, or maybe even screaming, I will not jump to the conclusion that they are a spoiled brat not getting the toy that they want. Instead, I will walk past and say a quiet prayer that your day gets better as I understand your child isn't throwing a temper tantrum, but is having an autistic meltdown due to sensory overload.

I promise that if our children should wind up in the same class at school, you will always receive a birthday invite. I will not be uninformed, scared, or uncertain of Down Syndrome. I understand that just because you have Down Syndrome it doesn't mean you do not need friends, have feelings, or like the same things kids your age do.

I cannot say that I have walked in your shoes, that I understand the tenacity you have within you, or that I have the slightest clue of what your day entails. I can tell you however, that I admire you, applaud you, and support you.