To The Obnoxious Fan…Please Stop

To The Obnoxious Fan…Please Stop

There's always at least one at every sporting event.

10
To The Obnoxious Fan…Please Stop
The Roosevelts

Dear Obnoxious Fan,

It’s me, the girl sitting directly in front of you. Yes, I can hear you. In fact, everyone in this section can hear you. But do you know who can’t? The refs, the players, the coaches; they don’t hear a single thing. They can’t hear you, and honestly even if they could I doubt your opinion would change a thing.

I get it. You have a ton of school spirit and I admire that. I am happy that you are so passionate about the game you are watching. But please, for the love of all things basketball, stop yelling. I know the refs don’t always make the right call, but do you really have to fight every single call? You yell, “That wasn’t a foul!” when the guy basically attacked the other player. I’m sorry, but this is a game with rules. Rules that aren’t always going to favor your team. Also, the refs are human. Humans that make mistakes sometimes. Give them a break.

Believe it or not, we are actually rooting for the same team. Yes, I want us to win. As a retired player, I know a lot about the game. I also have noticed you screaming at your own team. Saying that this or that person isn’t doing anything. Would you please stop? Clearly you aren’t the coach for a reason. I bet you never even played this sport competitively. I bet you don’t know what it’s like to be that player that’s having a rough game. They know what to do. You are just here to cheer them on for your school, not to scream your opinion. Be a positive cheerleader, not the critic. The coach has his job for a reason and will do what he thinks is best for the team.

Maybe it’s because I am so used to playing on the court and not standing in the stands, but I would appreciate it if you would just watch the game. Observe it like I do, and only yell positively. It would make the game a much better experience for everyone around you.

Thanks,

Clara Jane