To The Many Mothers In My Life, Thank You For Every Little Thing

To the women who have inspired me.

55

Hi moms,

It may have been a while... or maybe I saw you last weekend or even today. I just wanted to let you know that I'm doing relatively well. College is a challenge, but a challenge I am happy to be taking on. You've constantly inspired me to become a well-educated woman like yourself, and I want to make you proud. I may not be home much or see you very often. It's not the same to send you a text and I may not always like your Facebook posts because I'm a busy, stressed student. Anytime I see you, you always welcome me back into your life for that brief moment and I feel so loved. Thank you for never failing to make me feel valued.

Thank you for taking action shots of our volleyball team every tournament in high school. I still have and cherish every picture of your daughter and I running into each other by accident on the court. We may not have been the best, but you were the best volleyball mom, never failing to cheer us on and make us feel supported every game day. (I'll keep an eye on your daughter on campus for you too.) Thank you for teaching me spirit.

Thank you for letting me choose my own path and letting me try things for myself. Though you were my "mom" in only a student organization, you left an impact. I wish we could have become closer, but everyone has their own choices to make. Regardless, you helped open a door for me that has been one of the best chapters of my life so far. Thank you for teaching me about both commitment and independence.

Thank you for never giving up on my education. I know I wasn't the easiest student. I know I may be stubborn and often choose what I feel like putting effort into. Thank you for understanding how a young person changes so quickly and grows; how people need to mess up to truly learn and improve. I will hold onto the countless bits of (potentially unintentional) wisdom that you bestowed on our class. Your honesty never fails to make me laugh, especially when dealing with your daughters and I. Thank you for teaching me to enjoy the process of writing, love and understand poetry, and how to succeed after failure.

Thank you for your never-ending hospitality. Anytime you're around, whether or not it's at your home, I feel welcome. You have always shown me as much support as I could need, no matter my shortcomings. You have seen many of my mistakes and have still chosen to love me, even though I am not your own daughter. You've let your daughter be in my life for about six years now and I am so happy my high energy didn't scare the both of you off. You're incredible. Thank you for teaching me generosity and forgiveness.

Thank you for choosing me. You didn't have to, but you chose to put all the time, effort, and love into welcoming me. You're one of the first things that came to mind when I was asked to join our sisterhood. (I immediately said yes.) I love and miss you much, but I am so very excited about the journey we have still ahead of us. You make me feel at home, that I can truly be entirely, unashamedly myself. Also, I am so proud of you big. Thank you for teaching me confidence in my unpolished self.

Thank you for housing me, feeding me, helping me, educating me, and loving me. That doesn't even come close to everything that you have done for me. Thank you for all the sacrifices you and dad have made so that I could receive an irreplaceable education and school experience. Thank you for pushing me through piano lessons for years and keeping me from quitting choir when music "wasn't cool". I now value the music that our family shares above most things. Thank you for listening to me cry in the bathroom, car, and even grocery store about boy after boy who has broken my heart. Thank you for showing me that I am valuable without those boys. Thank you for putting your foot down and not letting me go off the rails. Thank you also for letting me go off the rails some and letting me learn from my choices. Thank you for loving me as I tried to keep myself together and couldn't quite love myself. Thank you for passing down your love of tea and candles. (I wonder if you've started to notice all the tea mugs and fall scented candles on my nightstand.) I may be busy, always in and out of your daily life right now, but I wanted you to know how much I appreciate you. All I am today, and am still becoming, is because of you. Thank you for teaching me what it means to be a woman of faith, a daughter, a wife, a sister, and a mother. Thank you for teaching me just about everything. I love you.

Thank you moms!

Love,

Your daughter