To The Man Who Stole My Innocence

To The Man Who Stole My Innocence

“She couldn’t get any farther away inside from her skin. She couldn’t get away.” ― Cynthia Voigt, When She Hollers

140
To The Man Who Stole My Innocence
Kaitlyn Mailloux

I was five. I was only 5 years old when you claimed me as your victim. I didn’t have my first kiss yet. I still believed that boys were just some kind of weird-bodied thing that had cooties. But you still violated me. I didn’t have my first crush yet, but you still took the piece of me that I could never get back.

I had to tell my first that it wasn’t actually my first time. I had to look him in the eye and say I lost my innocence at the age of 5.

When you stole my innocence, you replaced it with fear. Fear of any man that would become a part of my life, fear of any man I would see out in public. Fear that it would happen to me again.

You replaced the innocence with an everlasting memory. I would constantly have flashbacks to that very moment. It didn’t matter what time of day it was, who I was with, what I was doing; they still occurred. No matter how hard I tried your memory wouldn’t fade.

I was only 5 when you stole my innocence. I was only 5 when my life was changed forever. I was only 5 when you made me your victim. I was only 5 when I found out I will forever be living in fear.