To The Girl With A Strong Personality

To The Girl With A Strong Personality

Why is a confident woman so intimidating?
377

Recently, I was talking with one of my new college friends. We were gossiping, talking about high school and reminiscing. We were talking about becoming more independent, then she brought up that sometimes when girls become more confident, promote self-love or make a stand to happily embrace the life of being a single and independent woman, people get a little weird about the whole thing. Let me explain: when a gal claims her independence (which everyone obviously has the right to do) or wants to take time for herself, people start to get offended and insecure. I’m into the phrase “you do you.” I think if a girl wants to be a nontraditional mom, a stay at home mom or not a mom at all, that is totally fine. Sometimes I say things like “I don’t want kids” or “I don’t want to plan my life out” AKA maybe I don’t want to get married right away. People think I’m confused or some type of weirdo because I may not know what I want. I thought we were past the whole “your only purpose as a woman is to have children” thing.

All things considered, I want to know why the heck people are still writing about women being too intimidating for men in relationships and bulls*it like that. Why is it that women should have to make sure they’re not being too confrontational or assertive? I want to be more assertive, honestly, but please don’t drop the “that’s intimidating” sh*t.

In relationships, I want to be up-front and real about everything. I’m not going to go through an entire relationship sugar coating everything. I want you to be straight up with me, and I’ll be straight up with you. No one wants to be called out on their sh*t, but at times it can be refreshing to hear some honesty. I want to do my own thing and “do me” for awhile, and I think that is completely fine. Also, it’s totally cool if you want a serious relationship. If you’re a bada** woman and you’re happy just living and trying to figure life out on your own for a while, just do you. Strengths aren’t scary, decisiveness is great, and it is totally okay to want to be alone for awhile.