To the Girl Who is Trying to Fit In

To the Girl Who is Trying to Fit In

A letter to the young girl who feels left out
19

I know that you feel awkward. I know that you feel left out. You may even think that people do not want to be around you because you are different. Those aren't the cases. Your's beautiful, strong, and talented in your own way.

Stop playing dress up with someone who has different intentions for you. You do not need to cover up your face or show off your body to get people to notice you. If someone thinks that you should, simply walk away. Yes, it is easier said than done, but that is what will make you grow.

Putting on different clothes does not make you grown up. Wearing a lot of make up doesn't make you grown up, despite how you may look. Drinking alcohol, doing drugs, and letting boys take advantage of you does not make you an adult. It will only make you dislike yourself. These things will make you do actions that you will regret. Stop trying to imitate an adult, because you will never be one that way. Here is what you should do because you feel lost, because you don't know where to go, because you don't know who you are yet.

Try anything that makes you happy, no matter what others may think. Their opinion does not matter, so let it roll off your shoulders. If you want to paint your nails crazy colors, try out a new hair style, or listen to music that isn't popular, do it! Do what makes you happy. This is how you will find your true self. Why should you do anything otherwise? Our goal of being humans that are living and interacting everyday is not to make each other like us, no matter how badly you don't want to believe it. We are humans, created to explore, engage, and discover. So for now, stop trying to flirt with that boy who hasn't ever paid you attention. Stop worrying about the girl who gave you a weird look in the hallway. They do not matter in the big picture of things. This is the time of your existence to find out what makes you thrive, what makes you stand out, what makes you amazing. The secret is that once you figure out who you are, then you will have a community beginning to materialize around you.

Once you find your happiness and inspiration, it will show around you. You will outwardly show happiness and a positive light. You will meet people, notice details, and be inspired because of yourself. You won't have to hide or try to fit in because you will eventually find your group. Everyone eventually does. It just takes time, so give it some time.

People will have their opinions about what you do. They will say that you should not do that, or that it it not lady like. People will try to make you conform to the common thought of our society. Please, do not listen to them. You will of course hear them, and I wish I could tell you that they will not hurt. I cannot tell you that though because I do not have any proof that the pain will stop. Bear in mind that they are only words and that you are always stronger than words. Soon after that, these silly, petty comments will roll off your shoulders, barely noticing them. Hold your head high and unwavering. Raise your standards and remember that you are beautiful, strong, and enough.

Do not be afraid to try new things, to enjoy all of the experiences that you can, and try to be nice to everyone you encounter. Learn to accept yourself. It might be hard, but at the end of that journey, it will be worth it. Try to remember that social media is not everything and that it is okay if you decide to detox from it. Some things are better if they are kept to yourself. Do not try to grow up faster than you are supposed to because being young is okay. Being different is okay. Do not try to fit in, just be you. Everything will fit into place, eventually.