To The Girl That Judged Me At The Gym

To The Girl That Judged Me At The Gym

I'm not skinny and that's okay.

19
To The Girl That Judged Me At The Gym
Abby Williams

Hello.

I saw you looking at me while I was on the stairs the other day at the gym. It was my cardio day and I had already done so much, so I was going a little bit slower.

It wasn't the first time I noticed you looking at me either. I met your eyes when I was on the elliptical and the bike as well. Both times, you did not have a friendly look on your face. I can assume what you're thinking, "Why is this girl at the gym?"

Let me explain something to you. For you going to a gym that's a "judgment free zone," you come off as very judgmental. I noticed that I wasn't the only "bigger" person you were shooting looks at. I come to the gym to help myself get better. I set a goal for myself to be a better person, both mentally and physically. I look at these people going to the gym and it warms my heart to see people wanting to help themselves have a better life.

I do not consider myself to be a "bigger person." Most of my weight is located in two areas. Often when I tell people how much I really weigh, they don't believe me. Even if I was bigger, I wouldn't want to be judged for trying to make myself better.

To all of my friends that have ever felt too insecure to go to the gym for fear of being judged, I have a message for you. It doesn't matter what other people think of you. The only thing that matters is what you think of yourself. It's okay to breathe heavy and sweat hard because you're bettering yourself. It's okay to be different, as long as you're trying your best. Don't feel bad because this person is going faster or is lifting more. Do what you know you can do and increase from there.

It's okay that you don't have a "gym body" because honestly, I don't have one either. I know my limits and I don't let anyone make me feel insecure about them. I used to be afraid to go to the gym because of the feeling of insecurity, because I'm not the smallest person. I let that go and now, I've developed an obsession with the gym. I try to go every day because it makes me feel better.

To the girl that judged me at the gym, I hope you somehow read this and learn what you're doing. Your looks of disgust do not phase me. Actually, it makes me want to work that much harder to show you I can do it.