To The College Student Who Thinks They Don’t Have It All Figured Out Yet; It’s Okay.

Everything works out in the end.
259

As soon as we throw our graduation caps up into the air, some of us have a general idea as to what we want to do with our lives. Some may have a specific outline in mind, from internships they want to pursue to colleges they want to go to for their master's degree. Some know their major and just plan to figure the rest out along the way. Yet others? Others may not even have a clue what to do.

No matter where you currently are on this stressful timeline, it's okay.

Growing up, I was so set on pursuing journalism. I was constantly looking at journalism programs throughout high school, planning on picking up a journalism minor along the way, and I wanted to potentially work at a television station someday. Yet after learning more about this field in my mass communication class, I suddenly started having second thoughts.

I found myself beginning to panic, wondering what else I possibly wanted to do. All I knew was that I wanted to be involved in the communications fields—that was it! And that’s where I am now.

While I did experience this sudden change of heart early in my college career, it’s okay to feel this way no matter where you are right now. College allows us to take classes in an array of subjects, participate in a series of clubs and organizations, that will all help us realize where we want to go.

It’s hard to be in this state of uncertainty, yet this state of uncertainty allows us to learn more about ourselves. We can explore our interests, go into every general education class with an open mind. As we’re learning about ourselves, we’ll eventually wander down the right path—the path we were meant to be on.

So, It’s okay to not know what you want to do. It’s okay to change your mind and second-guess ourselves. That’s just life. We just always have to remember one thing: everything works out in the end.