When Your Best Friend Becomes A Stranger

Now you're just somebody that I used to know...

158

Never in a million years would I have thought that I'd be writing something like this about you.

It's sad.

It's sad that that our friendship came to this and it's sad that the person who I went to about anything and everything means absolutely nothing to me anymore.

I always read articles like this talking about how they wish their ex-best friend well in life and they'll always treasure their memories, how they were put on the back burner by their ex-best friend, and I never in a million years thought I'd ever write something similar. I never thought that anybody worth having in my life was one day going to walk out and have no problem doing so, but things change huh?

What can I say other than shit hit the fan and boy did it hit real quick. It was like one day we were getting dinner together after a game and weeks later we were arguing. We never fought before, and I couldn't see a reason why we ever would.

We had been best friends, and considered each other sisters, since we were eight years old. There was nothing to ever fight about. We were two peas in a pod and never had problems with each other. You were my rock, my soul sister, my best friend for life, my go to about everything, you were my person.

We did everything together. We went to school together, played on sports teams together, and took vacations together. Our houses were each other's second homes, you even called my dad uncle. I sat with you when you were first diagnosed with a disease and I cried for weeks when I saw you in such pain. You were going to be the godmother to my children and I to yours. We had it all planned out, we were young and dumb but together everything went smoothly.

I always stressed to my friends that I would never get into a relationship and forget them and put them on the backburner, and I never did with you or anyone. I hoped our friends would in return do the same, and everyone did. But you.

SEE ALSO: To The "Best Friend" Who Decided We Aren't Friends Anymore

I suddenly found myself fighting for a spot in your life. I tried countless times to get in touch with you, getting texts back hours later with short replies. The person I would hang out with every day found another person to do that with. I put up a front for months, almost over a year like it didn't bother me and I tried to talk to you about it, but as always I was the bad guy.

It's sad that something so dumb ruined our friendship and the worst part is I was there to help you and I wanted to help work things out but you wanted no part. It's sad that one of the people I cared most about in the world means nothing to me anymore. I wouldn't get up and leave a friendship over something so small, so clearly you didn't understand the impact of everything you did.

So ex-best friend, thank you for the memories and thank you for the years we spent together. Thank you for the laughs and the times you let me cry on your shoulder. Thank you for tolerating the boys I was with even when you hated them and thank you for making your family a part of mine.

Thanks for all of the good times, but I'm not going to be a part of the bad times anymore.

I still laugh about some of the dumb things we did together and some days I miss the way things used to be. But I will never apologize for doing nothing to you, I will never bash you on social media, and I will never mention your name to anyone because you, along with the memories, are now a part of my past.