To The "Best Friend" Who Decided We Aren't Friends Anymore
popular

An open letter to my ex-best friend who decided we aren't friends anymore.

51191

Dear Old Friend,

At random times, I remember our 10-year-friendship and smile at the memories. When we were younger we always seemed to be occupied with trips to the city, birthday parties, shopping trips, baking all sorts of desserts and having philosophical talks. But now, when I remember all of the fun times we had, it makes me wonder why you suddenly stopped caring about me.

It has been over a year since the last time we really talked. Around that time you started ignoring my text messages and only ever responded to say that you were "too busy" to meet at our favorite coffee shop. I was originally in denial about what was happening. I didn't want to believe that the girl who had been my best friend since kindergarten didn't value our friendship anymore.

It took about two months for me to notice that you really didn't want anything to do with me. I'm not going to lie, I was devastated when I figured it out. You were the one person who knew everything about me and never seemed to judge me, so I felt betrayed to know that you were not going to be there when I needed you again.

To this day, I still don't know what I did wrong. It was pretty horrendous of you to decide, out of the blue, that we were done. You cut me off knowing that I would put myself through hell trying to find out why. And I'm not sure how you'll feel to find out that after a year of agony, I finally got my closure.

SEE ALSO: To My Ex-Best Friend

Looking back now I can see that what you did may have been mean and hurtful, but it made me stronger. I can see that you were a fool to drop me like that. You were my best friend and I would've done anything for you. When you felt attacked and alone, I defended you. When people were cruel to you, I could almost feel your pain and would do anything to take it away. It is sad to know that we were once so close and are now strangers. But I have moved on and obviously, you have too.

Since you've been gone I've branched out and have made a bunch of amazing new friends. I am careful about who I call my best friend now, but I try to be there for everybody. I would still be here for you too if you tried to make amends, but I don't know if I would ever be able to trust you enough to be as close as we were again. When I lost you I also lost all of my trust, but I found myself.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you. Thank you for the 10 years of friendship. Thank you for memories that I wouldn't trade for anything. Thank you for leaving and letting me rediscover myself. And most of all, thank you for teaching me that it is important to not be dependent on anybody. I love you more than I hate you for that. So, thank you.

Love,

Someone who never stopped being your friend