To My Two Friends In Love

To My Two Friends In Love

My view from the backseat

18
To My Two Friends In Love
Tanya Glick

You both mean a whole lot to me, and I am more than overjoyed to have had a small hand in you two getting together. When you care for people, it’s even more wonderful to watch them care for each other. Getting to spend time with the both of you is one of my favorite ways to spend it, even if I am the designated third wheel. I don’t mind the kissing, the constant hand holding or even the kissing of hands. I don't even mind having a permanent place squished in the backseat. Truth be told, it’s alright with me because that’s where the best view of your relationship is. If only you could see what I see from that backseat.

You may not think this would be a very good seat, but I see it all, even what you don’t see. You know, when that little pop out mirror above the rearview mirror is down, the one that is put in cars catered to moms who like to watch their children, I get to witness everything that happens between the two of you on our car journeys. I can see when you each look at each other without the other one knowing with smiles of amazement on your faces that says everything without needing any words to say it. I can see when you can’t stand the five seconds of ceased hand holding to change the song, and the relief that overtakes you when you can finally resume once more. I can see the satisfaction in your faces just to run your fingers through the other one’s hair while they are driving. I can see a whole lot, and though it may provoke a gag reflux at times, it is the most beautifully insightful thing I’ve ever witnessed.

I’m glad when you two are having your ups because the downs are a rough place to witness. I know you have had your moments because I was there for both sides when you two were without each other. I saw how much it tore you both apart in such different but equally painful ways. I think that’s why I appreciate you both together, your relationship as a whole. It was worked for, still is, and probably always will be.

Now, for a girl who plans to seek a career in marriage and family therapy, I think the interest in relationships is obvious, and I know that me planning to give some advice doesn’t necessarily come as a shocker to either of you. I’ve talked to you both about your hopes and fears for the relationship, and I’m sure you’ve heard me say a variation of this probably more than once, but for safe measure here it is: Just love each other as best as you can, and put aside your fears. Stop eating at yourselves for past mistakes made. Just know that when the other says, “I love you,” it is meant. Because if you could see what I see from the backseat you would never question that.