To My Dead Dog: A Eulogy

To My Dead Dog: A Eulogy

Confronting the death of my childhood and my best friend.

6334
To My Dead Dog: A Eulogy
Amira Lukens

So I lost one of my childhood pets recently. She passed away while I was visiting my parents in Thailand. She passed away the day after I arrived at my parents house; little did I know that was her last day on earth. I'm glad I got to be with her in her last moments. This is a little tribute to her...

To my beloved dead dog,

Fifteen years ago, I remember meeting you for the first time when you were just a puppy and I was five. You were the cutest little dog ever, but I couldn’t figure out why you slept all the time. It was so frustrating because all I wanted to do was play with you, but you were sleeping. Mom said puppies needed sleep to grow, just like I needed certain things to grow.

We grew up together. You were my best friend. You were there for me even when everyone else wasn’t. You greeted me everyday after school. You kept my feet warm as I slept. You even put up with me when I was annoying you. I still remember how you used to listen to me sing; no other dog has done that for me. We spent almost everyday together, and I cherish all those memories.

Thank you for being the most well-behaved dog I’ve ever known. You were smart and you knew how to take care of yourself when we were away. You knew how to behave and you always knew that we would come back for you.

It is amazing to think that you have been to three different countries. You’ve lived in the U.S. and Thailand. You’ve visited Mexico. You were definitely a well traveled dog. I’m so glad we brought you with us to Thailand; I don't know what I would have done without you.

I hope you were happy in Thailand, it seemed like you were. You were happy when you were with us and we were happy with you. Of course you were a little annoyed when my new puppy came along, but I think you handled it quite well. You showed her who was boss, but were never too aggressive with her. She loved you too, even if it didn't seem like it.

Lastly, I just want to thank you for waiting for me. Of course I did not want to see you go during this last trip to Thailand, but I can’t imagine the guilt I would have experienced if you passed and I had not been there. You knew I was coming back… you knew that I would come back to see you. I always had in the past, and you waited until I did come back to say goodbye.

I am sorry if I ever accidentally hurt you or annoyed you. I never had ill-intent towards you. I loved you so much. Thank you for being the best dog that I could ever ask for.

With love,

Your best friend