To My Best Friend's Significant Other

To My Best Friend's Significant Other

What I want to tell you about your relationship with my best friend.

49
To My Best Friend's Significant Other

Dear Significant other, Hook-up, Friend with benefits, WeDon'tReallyWantToLabelIt, None of the above,

Congratulations, you are currently seeing my best friend. Maybe it's only the first date, maybe it's been a year or maybe you are not even dating at all. No matter what the stage your relationship is in, you have already leaped over several barriers to get there. I was there for the countless debates and evaluations of your texts. I was the one who helped my best friend stalk you on social media and analyze your tweets and photos. Maybe I fought for you, maybe I didn't, but either way, my best friend made the decision to see you. You are lucky, not only because my best friend is smart, beautiful, charismatic and special but because I have seen many others not make it beyond this point. For that, you should be congratulated.

Now comes the hard part: actually moving forward. Surprisingly, I will play an even stronger role in this next part. I will save your relationship countless times, whether it be by snatching their phone away when they drunkenly reach to call you or when I boost their morale and help them remember the good times after a bad fight, I will be there. It is unlikely you will ever know the strength of the role I play in your relationship, which I am completely content with. For this service, I ask for little in return.

But, I have seen so many more make it beyond this point. I have heard so many angry rants and wiped away so many tears because of others. The ones whose tweets did not say that they were cheaters and liars. The ones whose smiling photos said nothing of drunken anger, of hurtful words. The ones who slipped through all of the careful filtration systems, the ones who even lasted, despite my warnings.

So, what I ask for is simple: Be good to my best friend. They know what they want best. I am confident they can choose whom they want and for reasons on their own. I am merely a sounding board for which they can bounce ideas of off. I want them to be with someone who treats them as an equal and someone who respects them in the way they deserve. I want you to listen, hear what they have to say about their preferences and why you are upsetting them and change your behavior accordingly. Most of all, I want you to have fun with each other.

I'm sure you can be great for my best friend. I know she can be great for you. Hopefully, you will make each other happy.

Sincerely,

The Best Friend