To My Best Friend And Best Roommate, At The End Of Freshmen Year

Thank you for being with me through the highs and lows.

190
Sarah Schwartz

We've all heard it before.

"Don't room with your best friend because chances are she won't be your best friend after a year together." I know I heard that one too many time as I was dealing with the roommate selection process for my freshmen year of college.

But, as per usual, I didn't listen to the websites, people, or articles about this. I went with my gut and did the thing I wanted to do most. I decided to live with my best friend and choose to be her roommate.

That was the best decision I could have possibly made. I'll admit it; the articles had me worried. There were days where I got slightly skeptical about living with my best friend because I didn't want our relationship to change or to ever lose her as a friend.

But, thankfully, I didn't have to worry about that. Because living with her was a dream come true. Living with her gave me someone who was always there to talk to, laugh with, and plan stupid things with. Living with someone I loved and appreciated so much gave me the best college experience I could have asked for.

I'm always down to meeting new people, but when move in day came and I knew I was about to be surrounded by 30,000 new people, getting to set up my room with my best friend was the most comforting experience I could have asked for. Right off the bat, I knew we were in this together. I knew we were in for some rough times, but I also knew that the wonderful experiences and moments we'd have together would make the rough times worth it.

I can honestly say that I somehow became closer to my best friend and we've now become inseparable. There aren't many times when we aren't together eating, napping, watching Netflix, etc. She has been the person I can cry to when nobody else would see the justification behind my tears. She's the person I text even when we're in the same room because sometimes, some things are much better texted than spoken.

There were several nights where neither of us could fall asleep because we were too busy laughing about something that happened during the day or something one of us said. Those are the times where I have to pinch myself and remind myself how lucky I am to have had her and to have chosen her as my roommate.

As I write this on the last week of our semester, I have to stop and think about how wonderful this year was. From trying to meet people in our hall to bonding over how all the showers are taken, to telling long stories and never getting bored, and everything in between, I truly had the best first year of college I could have asked for.

But it wouldn't have been even close to this great if I didn't have my best friend as my wonderful and lifelong roommate. It wouldn't have been nearly this good if I didn't know that I'd get to come home to my best friend and wake up with my best friend, eager to make more memories during the day.

So thank you, for making this year so memorable and perfect. I wish so much I could better encapsulate how incredible you made this year for me, but please know that you are the reason I'm able to smile while writing this article. You're the reason why I can't help but consistently reflect on this year and never, ever, want it to end.