To The Girls Preparing For Rush, You Need To Read This

Do not grow gray hairs stressing over rush! You got this!

178
Caroline Williams

To the Girl's Preparing to Rush,

To all incoming freshman, or anyone who is about to go through rush, I know it is a scary experience. From personal experience, I was terrified to go through rush. College is already scary as it is because everything is new and unknown, so going through recruitment makes it even scarier. I was afraid of going to all the houses and talking to girls that could potentially become my sisters. Since I have been through recruitment these are the biggest tips to follow for Rush week.

1. It is not materialistic

I spent weeks preparing my outfits. Deciding which dress to wear, shoes, jewelry, and hairstyles. I wanted to make sure I had everything planned out so I could impress these girls. Going through recruitment does not mean you need to spend $1000 on new outfits.

I did buy new outfits for rush but I did not break the bank doing so. You do not need to flash every main brand item known to mankind during rush. I personally believe that you should not have to flash money in order to get into the house you want. Do not go gray hairs stressing over outfits.

2. Be yourself

Rush is focused around conversations with current members of the houses. Best advice I can give about these conversations is to be you. As cheesy as it sounds, it’s true. Current members are not going to hardcore drill you about everything you have done in life. They are just trying to get to know the girls rushing. The current members are there to help ease your process. They know which questions to ask that will help you not be nervous, and make you feel comfortable.

3. You will have bad conversations

You will go to a house and have a bad conversation.

By bad conversation I mean you will talk to a current member and the conversation will not flow. She might be very awkward and make the conversation difficult, or you just might not click with this certain girl.

If you have a bad conversation at a house, then it is not the house for you. You want to join a house that you feel most comfortable in and find the girls easy to talk to. These girls are who you are about to spend most of your time with, so you want to make sure you join a house with girls that fit your personality and are easy to talk with.

4. Be open minded

If you go into rush with one house set in your mind, you will not have a good time. Of course it is perfectly fine to have houses that you desire due to legacy or because you have friends in them, but you must keep an open mind.

Rush is very competitive and you might not end up in the house of your dreams but it is not the end of the world. There are girls who are legacies and do not end up in that house.

You want to be in a house that wants you. You want to be in a house that fights to keep you at the top of their list because then you’ll end up with girls that desire you for who you are. An open mind is key for rush week.

5. Do not be afraid to ask your Gamma Chi's questions

You are free to ask your Gamma Chi’s a million questions, they are there for YOU. They are there to help you out with anything and everything you need. Gamma Chi’s have gone through rush on both sides and can answer any question you have. They know rush inside and out. Do not be afraid to ask them questions, even if you think your question is dumb they want to help out as much as possible.