A Letter To My Future Self

A Letter To My Future Self

A reminder to remember what's important.

331
A Letter To My Future Self
medium.com

Dear Future Self,

We've written our fair share of letters to our future self growing up; our teachers seemed to love making us write corny notes to be opened once we graduated, or on some other significant date. They were always full of melodramatic statements about the year in which we wrote said letter, facts about our friends, embellishments to try and impress our future self, and declarations about what we hoped to have accomplished by the time we opened the letter again. Whether any of those things still matter is debatable, but it was always special to read them again. I've decided that it's a good idea to write another- one that's less cliche and hopefully less cringe-worthy. If I've failed at those two aims, I apologize in advance.

A lot has changed in the past year, and as I've entered into adulthood I'm coming to terms with the fact that the changes are just going to keep coming. That's what being an adult is, after all. It's dealing with the curves and bumps in the road. And contrary to how it appears, everyone only acts like they have everything figured out. Most people still don't have any idea what they're doing- there's no security in being 'grown up.' Whatever happens, don't feel like you have to have everything planned out, and don't panic when things don't go according to that plan. It's only natural to change our mind, to experience setbacks, to feel like things are slowly unraveling. What's important is being flexible, or in other words, being able to "improvise, adapt, and overcome." I hope that, in the future, we are able to do exactly that. I hope that the fear of change is no longer holding us back from succeeding.

But, along with being able to rework plans in your favor, remember that it's important to know what isn't up for negotiation. Your big dreams aren't debatable, no matter how many people try to talk you out of them. Within the span of two quarters I've already had an innumerable amount of people quirk a brow in disdain when I mention my career path, and almost all of them have tried to talk me out of it. I know it's scary, hearing so many people vocalize the doubts that lurk in the back of your mind. But their opinions don't matter, only yours does. With any luck, you'll have accomplished our dreams by the time you see this again, and will have shown them all how wrong they were to doubt us. Even if those dreams are a little different than the ones I have now.

While balancing the many years of school that's in store and a work schedule that will without a doubt be stressful, remember to live in the moment. I'm struggling so hard with it right now, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Worrying and being preoccupied with the details of the future lends itself to a very isolating environment. And while in that isolation, the days are flying by and people are coming and going, right under our nose. Take the time to breathe, to enjoy your surroundings, to meet new people, to have fun. These things only happen once; there are no do-overs, no repeats. Relish the time you have with your best friends and remember to appreciate what they do for you. Don't feel guilty for taking a minute to thank your mom, hug your dad, or tell your sisters that you love them. Go out with friends for the night, get involved in the community, allow yourself to have a social life. Your work isn't going anywhere, but those around you just might.

I guess, through all of this, there is really only one thing that ranks above all else in this letter. If I could ask whatever powers that govern the universe for one thing, it would be this.

Never lose sight of who you are. You've fought so hard, for so long, to figure out what really matters and who you want to be. Don't let that be for nothing. Never forget where you come from, no matter how far you travel. Remember the people in your life who have made you into who you are, who have taught you what it means to be a good person. Carry with you those who never lived to see how much progress you've made. Remind yourself daily that anything that requires you to compromise your values and ethics isn't something worth doing. Anyone who wants you to be someone you're not isn't meant to be in your life. I struggle with this every day. It's not easy. But none of the goals you have are worth anything if you're not being true to who you are. My one wish is that you continue to remember that.

I'm writing this letter to you with the hope that you've continued to keep these ideas in the forefront of your mind, as I'm currently doing now. Or, if you haven't, that you start to again. Such things aren't always easy to remember, but I know they're worth it, and our life is worth the effort.

Until next time,

Your Current Self