To Everyone Struggling With Their Body Image

"I've been asked if I was pregnant 3 times, one of those times was by a co-worker."

6
Lesley Jane Sullivan

If you aren't comfortable in your own skin, then this article is for you. I don't care if you're 10 or 100. I want you to know that you aren't alone. This article is for you.

I have never been comfortable in my own body. If I don't suck all of my stomach weight in, then I look like I'm pregnant. I've been asked if I was pregnant three times, one of those times was by a co-worker.

I don't like going shopping with people, because I don't like them knowing what size I wear because I get really sub-conscious as it is.

I see someone with a flat stomach, I cringe. I want to be them so badly. You could say things like, "oh, just eat healthier or go exercise." The thing is, my schedule is so busy, I don't have time. I work 8-plus hours five days a week, and go to school basically full time. If I'm not working, I'm usually doing school work. On top of that, because of my own stupidity, I can't drive so it's not like I could easily get to a gym and we had our first snowfall so it's too cold to walk.

As far as food goes, I like food too much. Moderation is key, yes, but I need to get into the habit of alternative choices. I'd be lying if I said I've never thought about cutting out food completely.

The only time I ever feel "confident" is if I have a face full of make up and I'm wearing my favorite jeans. I don't even like wearing shorts.

I'm learning how to accept the way that I am, but it's easier said than done. Some days I feel okay, and others not so much.

I guess I looked okay when I was an upperclassman in high school, but the freshman 15 kicked in before I even started college, and trust me. I gained a lot more than 15 pounds. You could say I'm being dramatic, but they're my feelings. I don't need them validated by someone who has never been in my shoes.

I learned that I wasn't alone, and if you're reading this, and you're in the same boat as I am, you aren't either.

Honestly, I blame society for how we feel about our image. "If you're not thin, you aren't in." How many models and celebrities do they photoshop on their magazine covers that sends out the message that this is what we need to look like? Or how many barbie dolls do they manufacture that gives us unrealistic body images? Did you know that if barbie were a life size person, she would have to walk on all fours? Her waist would be so tiny it would only be able to hold half a liver and a few inches of intestine, according to an article on daily mail.

Now, let me just quote a few statistics from The National Association of Anorexia Nervousa

1. At least 30 million people in america, regardless of gender or age, suffer from an eating disorder.

2. Every 62 minutes, someone dies due to an eating disorder.

You can read more here:

This goes for males and females, not just females. Guys have feelings too, and guys have the same struggles, they just don't show it like we do.We as a society need to start lifting each other up, and encouraging each other instead of judging one another from a number we receive at the doctors at least once a year. We need to get rid of the body mass index (BMI) because it isn't always accurate. We need to tell each other we're beautiful or handsome. We need to help build each other, but all we're doing is tearing each other down.

So let's start building each other up, and let's try to make this world a more friendly place to live in.