How To Live Life As A Writer

How To Live Life As A Writer

A lifestyle of choice

54
How To Live Life As A Writer

Writing isn't just a career, or a hobby; writing is a lifestyle. Writers are probably the most interesting people you could ever meet, and, at the same time, can also be the least interesting.

I argue both cases because we are as unique as we are normal. How is this possible you ask? It’s because we are mortals playing the part of immortals.

We are interesting because we have the power of words. We are the least interesting because without our words, what are we? It is true that writers can tell a great story, but other than that we are simply normal individuals living life.

Those with a passion for writing have the ability to tell a story. The idea is pretty simple, right? Writers have an entire world at their fingertips, and nations as their command. We have the immense power of an immortal, but we ourselves are mortal. Our names may live on, and so may our stories; but in the end we are only human (I hope that song is in your head now cause it is in mine).

John O'Hara was once asked, "What makes a writer?” He pondered this question over and over again. What makes a writer? O'Hara went through all the different writers he knew and tried to see if they had any familiar qualities (i.e. backgrounds, personalities etc.). He found pretty quickly that they were all different. Actually, they were all so different that he came up with the answer that there is no answer. So then, how can one be called a writer? Well, do you write? Do you love writing? Then you are a writer. It doesn't matter what you write, as long as you do it and do it to your liking.

"Why do you write?" asked the interviewer.

"Because I want to,” answered O'Hara.

Writing shouldn't be something that you are making yourself do. Instead, it should be something you want to do. When you start feeling that you have no craving to write one day, then don't. Forcing yourself to write isn't going to help you become a better writer. All it will accomplish is make you begin detesting what you originally loved. Now, don't think you can always use this as an excuse to put it off. Sometimes, you do need to just sit down and write at least a sentence to get the ball rolling if you're on a deadline. It’s all about balance.

Every writer has probably heard the speech that "writer's don't make any money" or "I hope you have a plan B when that falls through". I personally have heard these words the majority of my career, and I want to tell you right now—DO NOT TO LISTEN! Do not let yourself be discouraged in your writing just because someone is uneducated about the need for writers in the work field. Do you know that more than half of the employed can't actually write? Sure, anyone can scrape up a few points, jot them down with a half-hearted introduction, and call it a report; but they have a hard time making it clear, concise and overall well-written. The problem is simply the lack of the ability to not only present an idea, but also expand on it. Writers are excellent at sounding like we know what we're doing even when we might not have the slightest clue. My advice is, look into different jobs that include the one thing that you love—writing. You might just be surprised at what you find.

Why write in the first place? Is there an actual answer to this question? In my opinion, it does have an answer. Do you want to know why? Because only I can answer that question for myself, just like only you can answer that question for yourself. If you love to write, then write. Don't let the little things hinder you. If it's only a hobby, then it's only a hobby. No matter what, write for you. Just know this: something you write (no matter what it is) can have the potential to impact the reader in a way you wouldn't even imagine. That one reader can then impact his friend, and his friend can impact his friend and so on. You can accidentally impact a whole generation.

If you want to adapt the writing lifestyle, this is what I can impart to you: " I'm offering you a life of mystery and misery, of loneliness and adventure. More than that, I'm offering you an opportunity to make a difference, to save the world every week, twice before Friday. Are you in?"- Flynn Carsen.