'Tis the Season

'Tis the Season

In Honor of Erin Peters, and YOU of course!

55
'Tis the Season

Merry Christmas Season! It is my favorite time of year (!!!!!), and I am so excited to drink hot chocolate, watch cheesy Hallmark movies, wear ugly Christmas sweaters to class, and make many memories with my wonderful new friends at Tulane. This weekend I have plans to decorate my trees (one at my permanent home and one at my dorm home) while enjoying the sweet sounds of holiday classics like “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” and “White Christmas.” This time of year warms my soul. I love cozying up with family and friends, connecting with them during this magical season. Even on Thanksgiving, when I usually can’t focus on anything but how full I am, I was so content to simply be surrounded by my family.

However, as I sat at the table and enjoyed an excessively large meal with my family, I couldn’t help but think about Tulane student Erin Peters, who was found dead after an apparent suicide on Sunday, October 30th. I wonder about her and what she was like, what she loved and looked forward to. What was her favorite time of year? Her favorite song? Her favorite meal? What made her happy? Surely there were things in this cold world that warmed her soul. Surely there was something left to hope for. While I know our community is still mourning this loss, I hope this situation can inspire people.

In no way do I mean to belittle Erin’s death, but I hope that she serves as a reminder that life is so short. We have all suffered through hardships, through times we think we’re better off dead, but we must remember the good. We must remember the impermanency of our situations. Day will always follow night, sunshine will always follow the rain, and spring will always follow the winter. We must strive to live the best life possible, for it is up to us to make the best of our situations.

I used to be a huge yoga enthusiast (unfortunately my busy schedule prevents me from continuing this passion as I used to), and I will always remember the following bit of advice that one of my favorite high school teachers, Ms. Guillory, told me. I asked her about the symbolic yogi hand symbol and why it is that the last three fingers are extended towards the ground. She explained that each finger represents a state of being: aversion, attachment, and apathy. These frames of mind are how we should not live, therefore we send them towards the ground to eliminate them. Instead, we should embrace each situation in its entirety for what it is. We should be present, accepting emotions and participating fully in them, in order to lead the best life. I try to keep this little bit of wisdom with me as I embark on my own journey of life, feeling and being in entirety. I accept life for what it is, and I encourage you to do the same. Accept your circumstances. Because even though they may not last, they will ultimately shape you into the best version of you.

During this exciting and busy season, I hope you take a moment to remember Erin and make the best of your situations in honor of her. I hope you also remember to enjoy your life for your own sake, because you deserve it. Really. If you find yourself stressed or unhappy, do something for yourself that will make you happy. Tis the season to be jolly (fa la la la la, la la la la)!