10 Tips To Get Through Sorority Recruitment

Every girl's guide to sorority rush.

Every girl needs a guide to sorority rush if you decide to go through the process. I just finished going through the process so I figured I could give some fresh insight on the whole system and share some tips and tricks as to how to get through recruitment!

1. Be Yourself, Don't Be Nervous

Telling someone to be yourself is obviously one of the most cliché things to ever say to anyone but it is so true. The girls who are interviewing you want to get to know you and if they feel that your personality will thrive in their house then you will be selected to come back for the next round.

If you show a fake personality then you won't end up vibing in that house and you will be in a place that isn't right for you. You need to show off the amazing personality that makes you shine, because every person is made of different things that create their unique self. You will find the house that you are meant to be in.

Also, don't be nervous. The girls interviewing you are in the exact same boat as you so you can't be intimidated otherwise you will be held back. You need to walk into each house, confidently, and show off exactly who you are and they will rock it!

2. Keep a completely open mind

This is another very cliché thing to say but it is also so true. Trusting the system is so key in this process and you need to pick a house that is right for you. If you go into rush already knowing what you think you like and what you think you don't like, then it's very likely that you'll make the wrong decision and you'll end up unhappy.

You should go into each house with a smile on your face, ready to have a good conversation and if you don't then you don't. You may be pleasantly surprised in a house that you thought you didn't like or you may be disappointed in a house that you thought you were definitely going to like.

Also, if you get dropped from a house that you thought went well or you thought was going to be the house for you, you just need to trust the system. It means that the house just isn't for you and that is totally okay! Continue to keep an open mind with the houses that you do get called back to and you will end up right where you meant to be.

3. Take advantage of the process and make new friends

During recruitment, you are obviously forced to talk to a bunch of different girls from all different houses, in your Rho Gamma Group, and girls in the same line as you while waiting outside a house. Take advantage!!

Most likely, there are going to be girls around you that you have never seen or spoken to before so you should definitely take that opportunity to push yourself out of your comfort zone and make a new friends, because who doesn't like to have more friends? Also, when you are talking to the girls in the houses, you should talk to them as if you are just trying to make a new friend.

While trying to show off your personality, take advantage and make things personable and just try to have a normal conversation. You will get to see which type of girls you could become friends with, which will also make the process easier for you.

Most likely if you feel like you have made a friend in the house while they are rushing you, they felt the same way and you will be called back. It's a win win in every type of situation if you use this opportunity to make new friends.

4. Dress Comfortably but show off your style

Most likely, you are going to have specific outfit requirements for each round and you should definitely follow those requirements but do it in your own way. You need to be comfortable in what your wearing in order to be comfortable in showing off your personality so think about that when you are getting dressed or picking out your outfits for recruitment.

If you know that you are going to be running around, then you should definitely wear comfy shoes. If you know that you need to wear a dress and you are going to be sitting, you should probably wear spandex. Little things like that make a world's difference and you will feel a lot better when talking to the girls if you feel good about what you are wearing.

However, don't take too much time thinking about your outfits. Obviously, show off your style and try to look somewhat presentable but these girls are trying to get to know you and see what you are made of. They aren't going to not call you back just because of what you are wearing.

5. Pick the house for you!

You need to go with your gut. Pick the house that you feel will bring out your best self and that will make you most happy. You need to pick that house that you vibe with the most as an individual, not what all your friends are going to pick or not what people want you to pick.

You need to decide what you are looking for in a house, see what the values are of each house, and decide what the best match is for you. If you follow in your friends footsteps, you may choose the wrong house and you will be unhappy. If the house that all your friends are joining is the house for you and you vibe there, that is perfect.

If it isn't, you need to make this decision for your own well-being and go with the house that you'd be most excited to see on your bid day card when you open that envelope. You need to pick the house that you would feel most comfortable peeing with the door open in or running around naked in.

6. Don't talk poorly about houses

Preach it. If a house isn't for you, that is completely fine but you don't need to go badmouth them to your friends. You definitely don't need to go badmouth them to girls in other houses. Speaking poorly about other houses shows a lack of good character and most likely will make a very bad impression.

If you don't fit in, in a specific house that is totally okay but it may be the perfect house for someone else so there is no need to put them down. Every individual is different and they will find their place in all different places, whether those places were a place that you enjoyed or disliked.

7. Talk about things you are passionate about and make it memorable!

I can't emphasize this enough that the girls rushing you are just trying to get to know you. So you should most definitely share everything that makes you the person that you are with them. Every interesting detail about you, they want to hear about so share it all!! Try to think of specifics that will separate you from all the other girls and show them how unique you are so that they will remember you.

Also, if you sound excited about the things that you are talking about, most likely they will get excited too and they will remember you. Try to tell specific stories about the things you love and are passionate about and they will love it. It will definitely help them remember exactly who you are. You have to remember that there could be up to a thousand girls that they are meeting in a day so you need to share things that will separate you from all those girls.

You basically want to try to do everything you can to not blend in! Share YOUR story, show them how you feel about the things that have created you and you will kill it!

8. Don't talk about drugs, alcohol, boys, and don't curse!

Drugs, alcohol and boys are a big no, no. These girls are trying to get to know you as a person and are trying to understand all the cool things that you have done in your life. If you talk about drugs, alcohol, and boys, it could come off as if that's all you really care about. No house is looking for someone who is only made up of partying.

Obviously, some houses do party and love to go out but that is just a thing they like to do, it isn't who they are and that is what these girls are trying to discover. They want to know who you are and what you are made up of. So, you should definitely wait to talk about those things until you are in the house.

Also, don't curse. That is just common curtesy. When you are first meeting somebody and you begin to curse a lot when you are speaking, it could definitely come off as rude and as if you don't even care about being there so just don't do it. If a curse word slips, that is fine and you can maybe just apologize for using that language but try your best not to use those types of words because it comes off as not classy.

This is something that many people don't know but whatever you do, when you are leaving a house, DO NOT take anything out that door with you. Whether it is a glass of water or a tissue, ask somebody to throw it out or ask them where you can throw it out yourself because taking something out of the house is considered to be taking a bribe from the house.

You will be completely disqualified from the whole rush process. You do not want that, so just don't do it, no matter what.

10. Have so much fun!!!!!!!!!

Have a blast with the process guys. This shouldn't be stressful, this should be fun. You should have fun while talking to the girls, and while deciding what house you want to be in. When you go through the process, you will most likely know what the right feel is for you and you should just have a good time with it.

If the girls see that you are happy and having a good time with the process and especially if you tell them that, they will feel better about everything too and the conversation will already be off to a good start.