10 Ways To Stay Fit At Home Until The Gym Re-Opens

How to make sure you're maintaining a healthy lifestyle while quarantined.

21

With social distancing being prolonged to April 30, a lot of us are likely finding ourselves stressed from wondering if we will ever be finished with the self-quarantine. And a lot of people have already started picking up habits from being quarantined such as stress eating or snacking whenever we're bored. And with gyms being closed, some of us have lost a lot of our daily exercise routines. You're probably finding yourself wondering if it's possible to even stay healthy during this time. However, there are ways that you can exercise at home and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Here are 10 ways to stay healthy while being self-quarantined!

1. Use any exercise equipment you might have at home

If you have a treadmill to use, try spending time walking whenever you can. Spending time walking on the treadmill will help you keep moving instead of sitting around your house. If you have any other exercise equipment such as a cycling machine, a yoga ball, or weights, you should also try using those to help yourself stay active during the day.

2. Yoga routines

Carl Barcelo / Unsplash

Another way to stay healthy during the quarantine is that you should also try doing yoga routines. A lot of people have actually started taking up yoga since the quarantine has gone into effect. It's a great way to not only stay active but also help with meditating and reducing any stress you have. And it's okay if you struggle with doing the routines at home at first! Everyone struggles at first, but if you do them every day then you'll slowly start getting better over time.

3. Join an online workout class

There are a lot of virtual classes that are now being offered to help people stay fit while in quarantine. Many of them are free!

4. Experiment with a variety of workout routines

Hipcravo / Unsplash

Working out at home doesn't mean that you need to use the same workout routines. You can look up some new workouts on the internet and find ones you like that you can expand on when the gyms re-open. Just make sure to try mixing it up since it will not only stop you from getting bored at home, but it will also help with getting yourself more in shape since you'll be working out more than one muscle!

5. Go for a walk at the park

Emma Simpson / Unsplash

If you find yourself getting stir crazy at home, you should try walking to the park or walking around your neighborhood! It's good to walk around outside, and it helps you with getting your exercise in. It's also good if you start feeling bored from walking on your treadmill at home.

6. Eat a balanced meal

Brooke Lark / Unsplash

You should make sure that you're eating well while at home and maintaining a healthy diet! It can be easy to start snacking while in quarantine, which almost all of us have already started doing. Avoid eating junk food and try to buy more healthy food such as vegetable trays if you find any at the store. It's also good to keep on a diet if you were on one before the quarantine and avoid stress eating as much as possible, no matter how hard that might be.

7. Stand up and move around

With the effect of being quarantined at home, it can be easy to start sitting around at your house too often. Try getting up as much as you can and move around your house. Try standing while working on something by using a high table. Try to avoid sitting for too long by having yourself stand every 30 minutes if you can.

8. Work out your arms

Maddi Bazzocco / Unsplash

It's important that you try to work out your arms as much as you can since it can be easy to forget that when you're exercising at home. Try buying a set of dumbbells or using an exercise rope. And if you don't have either of those, try simply doing push-ups or using items as weights such as heavy textbooks.

9. Create fitness goals

Estée Janssens / Unsplash

It's also important to try creating fitness goals to help keep yourself focused. Create a list of goals for how you would like to stay fit and what you will do each day to accomplish your goals. This will not only help you set a clear goal for yourself, but it will also help you with creating a routine.

10. Take a moment to decompress

Natalia Figueredo / Unsplash

And finally, another way to stay healthy is to make sure you take the time to decompress from any stress you're feeling from being in quarantine. Almost everyone is likely feeling stressed from this whole situation, especially since some of us have lost our jobs or education as a result of the outbreak. So try taking a moment to breathe and relax so that you don't let any stress build up over time. Meditation and reading are both good ways to decompress.

So, if you find yourself feeling like you may lose any progress you made on staying healthy during the year, just follow any of these tips! It can be hard to stay healthy during this time, especially with the increase of stress and anxiety that most of us are probably feeling. However, there are plenty of ways to stay healthy while at home, and if you make sure that you are following these tips, then you'll find yourself feeling a lot healthier.