Tips To Get Through Midterms

Tips To Get Through Midterms

It's not the end of the world

26
Tips To Get Through Midterms

It’s midterms again. Unfortunately... The only worse time is finals, but that doesn’t make midterms any easier. The stress is at its peak and the coffee drinking at an all-time high. This semester I am taking over 18 credit hours, so trust me, I know exactly what all of you are going through. Here are some tips that help me get through midterms:

4. Eat healthy and eat a lot. I don’t know why, but when I’m sitting around working tirelessly on an essay or studying for an exam, I get hungry. Now I don’t think there is any scientific proof to back this up, but it sure feels like my brain working overtime burns extra calories. Having something to munch on while studying can make the process less tedious. But try not to eat too much junk food, that might make you feel sluggish and gross. A piece of fruit like an apple or pear doesn’t sit it your stomach as heavily.

3. Try and find some time to go to the gym. Or fit in time for any workout really! You are going to feel despondent and lazy, and after working so hard all day on academics, the gym may seem like the last place you want to go. But working out can be just what you need. Not only will you work-off some of those calories, but you can actually put some pep in your weary step. We’ve all felt that great sense of accomplishment and adrenaline after we’ve worked out. It feels really good. Relieve some of your stress by running a few laps or lifting some weights. Its an outlet that gives back. Plus with all the adrenaline flowing through your body post-working out, your mind is extra sharp and focused if you want to get in a little bit more studying.

2. Take fun breaks. Seriously. Psychologists and many other professionals have done research on the affect of taking breaks while studying. And guess what? Most have found that it actually improves your attention for the time you actually allocate to study. A teacher of mine in high school used to say that our brains could only absorb information at full capacity for 25 minutes, so every 25 minutes, we should take a short 5 minute break. Now, I’m not sure how true that is, but taking breaks is a great way to relieve some stress, clear your head and then return to your work refreshed. Whether it is to go out to a party, simply grab some lunch with a friend, or catch up on your favorite tv show and relax, that small time of relief can make a huge difference.

1. Take a step back and put it all into perspective. Call a parent or friend and catch up/vent. Remember that all this hard work is to get you a job, most likely doing something you enjoy. In ten years, you will probably laugh that you were so stressed about one test when bigger things like your career and family are so much more important. No matter how big and scary the test may seem and no matter what you feel, remember the test is not going to kill you. A few long hours suck, but a day of hard studying, maybe even a week of it, will not cause your world to end.