healthy lifestyle

5 Tips To A Healthier Lifestyle

Summer is here, your healthy lifestyle is the only thing missing.

243
5 Tips To A Healthier Lifestyle
Grace Vazquez

As Summer transitions into full swing, the sun seems to be shining on everyone. Our moods, situations, and even point of views have been impacted by this bright season, and it's showing. The only thing that may or may not have been changed by this is our exercise levels. It's extremely hard to influence our workout routine enough to change it. We often see this as a burden and not a blessing. It can be daunting to come home from a long day at work and immediately jump into a HIIT routine. However, this is meant to be a huge factor in our lifestyle and I intend to tell you how it can become that way.

1. Listen to your body

Whenever I go through busy seasons in my life, I often find that living a fit lifestyle is a huge struggle. The mantra that seems to remind me that this is totally normal is "listen to your body". When I come home from a ten hour work day, I often have to continue to finish any homework I haven't previously completed. This means that if I take extra time to stretch, go for a walk, or any other sort of exercise, I have to fit it in. My schedule is then altered leading to less sleep and a potential bad mood tomorrow. So, taking that into account, if I am exhausted I'm not going to push myself to get a good workout in. This is a hard lesson to learn but is definitely one of the most important ones. When you're training your body, you must listen to it.

2. Don't slack

Although it is important to rest when you need it, you must remember to push yourself as well. Don't take a whole week off if you know you can do better. You will always regret not giving your best shot, so take care of your body while you still can. Make a schedule and stick to it. Schedule your days realistically so that it is nearly impossible to slack.

3. Schedule schedule schedule

As mentioned in the previous point, you must schedule your workouts realistically. If you plan for your day to be perfect and everything to be on time down to the last minute, you will be disappointed. If possible, reserve extra time in your day for little mishaps so that it doesn't cut into your "get fit" time. If you plan for the worst, you'll always be pleasantly surprised.

4. Prioritize

In order to get fit, you have to want to get fit, you know? If you don't consider it to be a priority then you will indefinitely slack off. Like any other goal, you may have, make a list of why it is important to you. Narrow this down to the top reason, and find a motivational quote based off of it (this really works!). Once you have reasoning behind it, you have a priority. This quote should be used when you lose motivation and to keep you on track.

5. Have fun with it.

Working out isn't all about weights and yoga mats. It's literally anything you can exercise and have fun with. For example, I walk my dog twice a day. We try to head out early in the morning and once more when the sun begins to set. This is a great way to spend quality time with her and unwind after a long day, while still releasing endorphins and getting some fresh air. It's also a perfect opportunity to spend time with my family members if they want to join. Although this isn't usually all do, it's a big part of it. It's not just about the gains, but the journey there. Find out what works for you and tweak it to fit your schedule.

Bonus: because this is key

What you eat affects everything! Don't underestimate the power of your diet; it can make or break your health goals. If you find a balance of healthy choices you are going to not only have more energy for your workouts, but you'll feel much better mentally as well. I personally follow the 80% healthy food, 20% treats diet with as many plant-based meals planned into it as possible, but it's important that you do what works best for you!

At the end of the day, it's up to you how well you are going to take care of your body. It does so many good things for you (like keep you alive), so taking care of it would be an amazing way to thank it! It has been proven that you will live a longer, happier life if you are making healthy choices and giving back to your body. It's the only thing you have complete control over, so when will you start loving it?