Tips For Making A Long-Distance Relationship Suck Less

"But life has a habit of taking those you want closest and throwing them across oceans.."

237
howdesign.com

Long-distance relationships; something no couple ever wants to go through. However, life will sometimes come at you all guns blazing and you’re left with no choice but to try and make things work while being miles (518 to be exact) apart. It’s doable, it’s just not easy. There will be times where all you want to do is to crawl up next to your significant other and just physically be there with them.

Sadly, when it comes to long distance relationships, that’s just not an option. Sure there are certain things that make it a bit easier (looking at you, Skype and Snapchat), but no amount of those things can ever really replace being with that certain someone in person.

So if you’re reading this, I’m assuming you’re in one of these relationships and you’re looking for some tips. Let me just go ahead and add my disclaimer here: I am no expert. Not even kind of. Not even a little. I’m just someone who is going through what you’re going through and these are the things that seem to work best for my relationship. Again, I’m not a rapper expert. Anyway, here ya go!

1) Write letters

I’m not talking about super long text messages. Sit down with a pen and paper and write your man (or woman) a letter. Do this about once a week. Write about your day, write about how you’re feeling, write about how much you miss one another. Put lists of things you want to do together. This may be something small, but it adds so much more enjoyment to the relationship. Running out to the mailbox to see if you got your letter is so exciting. Spray your letter with perfume/cologne; just add little touches to personalize your letter even more.

2) Skype

Skyping, Facetiming, whatever it is you use, do it as much as possible! While of course talking on the phone and hearing your person’s voice is great, seeing them is even better. Try to Skype at least once a day, even if only for a few moments. Something fun to try is leaving the Skype call going over night. While this may seem like a weird thing to do, it really helps. Just knowing that they’re there while you fall asleep is comforting. Sure they’re not right there in bed with you, but just the fact that they’re there in their own way is helpful.

3) Call, Call, Call

Calling is so key in long distance relationships. Driving in the car? Call them. Tell them how your day is going so far. Include details of your day up to that point. This may not seem like a huge thing, but for me personally, hearing my boyfriend’s voice just a few times throughout the day helps with the fact that I don’t actually get to be with him.

4) Keep a journal

This kind of falls under the lines of writing letters, but it’s just a bit different. This is something my boyfriend came up with (brownie points for him, heyo). He decided that he was going to start keeping a journal for about two weeks and he would write in it almost every other day. He would write about his day, his plans for the future, the fun dates he wanted to go on when he saw me next, etc. After keeping the journal for a while, he would then mail it to me. I would then keep the journal for about two weeks and do the same thing – write about anything and everything. While you’re doing this though, you still write the letters! This is just another something that gives you something to look forward to. Again, while it might not seem like much, it really does help.

5) Send surprise care packages/gifts

Everyone loves receiving little gifts from their significant other, don’t even try and play it off like you don’t. From time to time, try sending each other little gifts or maybe an article of clothing (this works more for boyfriends sending things to their girlfriends, but hey, you do you). I received a sweatshirt one time in the mail and I can guarantee you I wore that thing religiously because for a while it smelled like my boyfriend and also it was just comforting. I also received a gift on my doorstep one day; he had surprised me with my favorite book. Little things like that go a long way and help remind you that you’re always on their mind.

6) Make playlists for each other

While we’re not going all the way old school with mixtapes, Spotify is a great way to make playlists that you can share with each other. You can have all kinds of different ones for one another. For example, I made a playlist titled Because I Miss You. That playlist is full of super sappy songs about love that remind me of my SO. Once you finish it, you can share it with them and they can listen to it when they miss you or just want some great music to listen to (because I’m sure you’re bomb at making fire playlists). Doing this for one another is just another great way to stay connected.

7) Date night

Dates are still an option, don’t let the distance let you think otherwise. Plan a night maybe once a week or every other week where you set aside time to Skype (again, major key!!) each other and do something different like have dinner together or watch a movie. Obviously it’s not the same as the real thing but you gotta work with whatcha got, ladies and gents.

8) Send cute text messages

Ugh I know, so high school. But listen, doing this every once in a while goes a long way. I’m not saying you need to write your own version of a Nicholas Sparks’ book every day and send it to your boo, but just saying something sweet on occasion lets them know they’re on your mind and you still think they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread.

While these tips definitely help (from my own experience), there are still going to be tough times; it just comes with the territory. While this isn’t necessarily a tip, trust is another major key. There aren’t really any shortcuts to this, you either have it or you don’t. A few ways to help reassure your significant other would be to let them know when you’re going out on the town with friends, if there will be drinking or not, if it’ll just be the guys getting together or if there will be girls there, when you make it home after a crazy night out, etc. By no means am I saying you need to report to your person as if they’re your mother or something, but letting them know what’s going on really gives them peace of mind.

Long distance is definitely a true test of a relationship, but if you can make it through and see the light at the end of the tunnel, you’re golden. Remember, there was a reason you wanted to make long distance work, don’t forget that when times get tough. You guys got this.