Tips To Keep In Mind For Fraternity and Sorority Recruitment

5 Tried And True Tips To Make Your Greek Life Recruitment A Success

Things to keep in mind before you rush into Rush.

146
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZfLRW7B-MV/?saved-by=tmak77

As students anxiously return home from the last shift of their summer internships, week-long retreats from Tahoe, backpacking expeditions across Europe and Asia, or from whatever exploits they have chosen to substitute in place of cramming for finals, and term papers, they watch with much anticipation as another day is crossed off their calendars. Another day. Then another. Until they find themselves standing in the middle of, walking about, repopulating a university campus they left to linger beneath a deserted silence for four long months they only wished could be longer.

Enlivening lecture halls, laboratories, quads, and libraries beneath the drone of their voices echoing with their longings, aspirations, and longing for aspirations as they stand in line to cash out books meant to line the shelves of, but will likely wind up on the floor of their dorm rooms along with crumpled cans of energy drinks and uneaten snacks, the monotonous rhythm with which they speak is suddenly interrupted. Injected with an ecstatic, contagious shrill of a note so resonant that the entire audience stands. If only just to capture, to feel, as if they are not only part of the concert itself, but one of the many musicians playing it when on top of their books recounting The History of Medieval Europe, Thermodynamics, or whatever subject far beyond the comprehension of regular English, appears a pamphlet marked with large block letters that spell: Fraternity, or Sorority Recruitment.

With Greek life encompassing 1 to 50% of the student population among universities across America, there is no question that Greek Letter Organizations possess a major bedrock of influence over postsecondary culture in the United States. With prominent figures that include names such as Franklin Roosevelt, John Stewart, Tory Burch, Neil Armstrong, and countless leaders and innovators in the realm of politics, entertainment, and commerce claiming ties to fraternities and sororities, for many students, getting into the right Greek Organization goes beyond the parties, the mixers, formals, and being accepted by their desired niche of people. Rather, the possibility of wearing a badge bearing the letters of Sigma Chi, Kappa Kappa Gamma, or any emblem which signifies affiliation with a fraternity or sorority, bears with it, the future of his/her success. Spelling his/her longings. His/her aspirations. His/her longing for aspirations.

As an individual who rushed and graduated from the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (Pike) half a century ago, the recruitment process can certainly be exciting but coupled with the stress of adjusting to larger class sizes, heavier workloads, and the challenge of acclimatizing to a new city, approaching a fraternity, or sorority can prove to be an intimidating exercise, if not overwhelming. Here are five tips for anyone -- from freshmen to seniors in the middle of their victory lap -- who are interested in partaking in the process of being recruited by a fraternity or sorority.

1. Do your research

Instagramhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BgMilmaDC8Q/?saved-by=tmak77

Contrary to what gets depicted in the movies and on TV, fraternities and sororities are not the brainchild of the 21st century or the 20th for that matter. My apologies "American Pie" and "Blue Mountain State". But they got back longer than that. And by long, I mean LONG. Some fraternities have been around since before the Civil War while the first sorority Kappa Alpha Theta was founded in 1870. With each long existence that varies in length, each Greek Letter Organization comes with a long history. A unique history. A history you have will have a chance to partake in, and shape, should you be fortunate enough to receive a bid.

While potential sorority recruits receive an earful of such histories in a process called Formal Recruitment, for fraternities, the process is less centralized, so those interested in rushing on the male side of things so to speak will likely be left to their own devices. Nevertheless, delving into a Greek Organization's past, and how it has come to shape what they stand for on an international level, and on your campus, is an extremely helpful, if not vital approach. Finding the history and legacy of a fraternity or sorority that best resonates with you will allow you to narrow down, and allow you to decide which chapters you might be interested in being recruited by. Especially at schools where the amount of Greek Houses on the row seems to outnumber the number of classrooms, or people going to class. However, this stage is the litmus test for the litmus test. Don't disqualify any chapter until you've had a chance to meet the membership in person. They might just prove to be contrary to what you've read about.

2. Be open. Be confident.

Instagramhttps://www.instagram.com/p/P8Y7UjgMzA/

Approaching a fraternity, or a sorority, and the members who come with it is arguably the most challenging part of the recruitment process. And it doesn't get any easier knowing you'll have to win over the affection of the Rush Chair, or those of the active member base who will be party to determining whether you will receive a bid.

Just remember this -- the Chapter President, the Social Chair, or whoever it is you have the chance to shake hands and exchange what will hopefully be more than a few pleasant words with was once in your shoes. He/she was that freshman, that potential. Torn between excitement and anxiety while at the same time, being dragged into the promise of being a part of a world filled with greater excitement, and anxiety.

They don't expect you to be perfect. You aren't, and neither are they. They just want to make sure that the goals of their organization best align with your own as you perfect yourself to fulfill them. Amidst your imperfections.

3. Check out as many chapters as you can before you decide

Instagramhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BZfNbbthPWg/

Say you know a friend in I don't know... Lambda Chi Alpha. You convey to him your interest in joining, so your pal passes your name up to the Rush Chair. You are extended a bid, go through the new member process, and you successfully initiate into becoming an active member. Only that, after a few months, you find your personality doesn't seem to click with the rest of the chapter, while at the same time, you have a business ethics course with a Sigma Chi whom you accompany back to his chapter house to shoot a few hoops after the class. And when you hit off with the Sig and his brothers, you say to yourself, "Maybe I joined the wrong fraternity".

Being a misfit in your fraternity can be unfortunate, and unfortunately, it's not uncommon. A case could have been made for me when I spent considerably more time with my friends in Delta Upsilon than I did my friends in Pike. Though I'd argue that's what made my relationship with the DUs as unique as it was. Nevertheless, the importance of checking out as many chapters as you should certainly be stressed to avoid the aforementioned outcome.

Sure, your brother, your father, was in Beta Theta Pi, or your great great grandmother was in Alpha Phi, so there might be a certain obligation to follow in the footsteps of your familial predecessors. While being a legacy may guarantee you a bid, it by no means guarantees that you will mesh with your chapter's member base. Maybe you're better off in Fiji (Phi Gamma Delta), or Kappa Delta, and you know what? That's cool too.

Just be mindful that finding the right fit with the right people will have arguably the most profound impact on your university experience, and career. Additionally, you're going to be paying a considerable amount of money in membership fees to go along with tuition, so it doesn't hurt to ensure you're fitted in accordance to the weight of your wallet, or purse. Also note that once you have joined a Greek Letter Organization, you will be prohibited from joining another (Even if you resign your membership).

4. Don't be a Stifler or a Gretchen Wieners

vignette.wikia.nocookie.nethttps://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net

With the lack of justice done to the Greek System on the count of the media, its easy to fall prey to preconceived notions of a certain snobbish, petty elitism, and the sex, drugs, and rock'n roll to go along with the endless list of negative stereotypes that become evoked when one thinks of a house with Greek letters embedded on its walls.

Fraternities and sororities indeed derive a great deal of pride in their ability to distinguish themselves from other organizations and students on campus. Be it on an academic, social, athletic level, or by the manner of governance. Nevertheless, it is this very pride that calls for a certain degree of civility, if not dignity. Attributes Greek Letter Organizations take extremely well to, and vet hard for. The successful ones anyway.

Being affable is certainly an asset, but retaining, and exhibiting a high magnitude of respect towards yourself, and others goes a long way and will carry you to great heights in your chapter, and long after you have left it. As much as there is an incentive to impress, there's no need to make it a popularity contest. Don't be the guy who brags about how he did two keg stands in half a minute (because they'll know you're lying among many things) or that girl who downplays her fellow recruits simply because she chose to wear Vera Wang, while they decided to go with Banana Republic. DON'T. Just Don't.

5. Say yes!

Instagramhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BUAEjmoB17J/

The most simple, yet profound, a piece of advice a brother of mine in Pike tendered to the remaining active members before he graduated. What you put into your chapter is what you get out of it, and possibly more in return. And what you miss you don't get back. You only have four years, less if you rush as a sophomore or junior. That's why you want to invest as much time as you can spare -- especially if you are a Rush -- when a fraternity or sorority extends you an invitation to participate in their official and unofficial events.

Whether it's a blue chip dinner or a simple intramural game of pickup, say yes! An early display of commitment is a strong indicator to a fraternity or sorority seeking to recruit you that your efforts will not only prove conducive to their chapter's success but that their chapter in return, will be able to reciprocate the same success within you.

Whatever happens -- whether you are tendered a bid or not, or receive one but decide its not for you -- just enjoy and make the most of the recruitment process. Like any club, the Greek Community is for some people, but not for everyone. Unlike any club, maybe it is, just in a place, or a chapter you never expected to find it. Your longings. Your aspirations. Your aspirations you longed for. To have, and to see them fulfilled.