10 Things Every Camp Counselor Should Know

I've seen a lot of stuff that overnight counselors need for the summer (which makes sense cause they're literally living there) but never things that counselors need to have and should know for a day camp. So, here are 10 things you need to be an awesome Day Camp Counselor

Signs of Heat Stroke/Heat Exhaustion

noaa.gov

Let's face it. You're out in the sun for most, if not all day and these kids are running around for most of it. Always be aware of what they're doing and stop for water breaks often. If you notice any of the above signs, get them to shade and water as soon as possible.

A simple first aid kit

A trip to the nurse is probably not necessary for every little thing and is especially handy for field trips where you can't go on the spot. Band-aids, rubbing alcohol and feminine hygiene products are probably the best things to have on your person.

LUNCH!

https://www.pexels.com/photo/food-salad-restaurant-person-5317/

If you think that you'll be fine or you can go after work, you will be proven wrong very quickly. I worked an 8-hour shift and you either brought lunch, bought it at Wawa before work or during your break. No one wants to see Counselorzilla.

Allergies

If you think that none of the campers at your camp will have allergies, you will be proven wrong. Chances are, at some point there will be a camper that has an allergy, whether it be to food, pollen, trees, nuts etc. Know them!

A Backpack Or String Bag (NO PURSES)

You can't carry everything in your arms all day, as tempted as you might be. Keep it light too, in case a kid asks to carry it as you move from activity to activity.

WATER!!!!!!!!

images.pexels.com

It can get really hot and not is it important for your campers to stay hydrated, you need to stay hydrated as well. These kids can take the energy out of you in a snap.

Swimsuit

On that note, get in the pool with your campers whenever possible. The kids love it when a counselor does something that they do, which gets them to do it too. Ask your camp director for what kind of swimsuit is allowed for counselors. Plus, it's a great way to keep cool on a hot day!

Quick Games

There will be downtime between activities or other events so it's always good to have a quick game idea to pass the time between when you arrive to when it's time to start. A quick internet search or your fellow counselors can be great resources for this!

Get a Good Night's Sleep

This will be you at some point in the summer

More often than not, you'll be waking up at an ungodly hour in the morning (it's like high school all over again!) so make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before!

Have Fun!

123rf

Summer Camp, especially day camp, is a great experience and a lot of fun for campers and counselors alike! Enjoy it!

Good luck and have a great summer!