7 First-Timer Tips For Every Shy, Timid Kid Acting As A Leader

It's absolutely terrifying at first, but it eventually will get better (with the help of these tips).

295

From the start of my freshmen year of high school, I earned my first officer position. I applied to become the freshmen representative of the UNICEF club. During sophomore year, I was the Public Relations officer of UNICEF and the Treasurer of the Beta Club. And now, I'm currently co-President of Beta Club and President-Elect of the UNICEF club. How did I get here? Honestly, I'm not quite sure. If I went back to freshmen year and asked myself, can you imagine yourself becoming president of two clubs by the end of your high school year? Past me would laugh in my face. But I'm here now, and I've become a change person. From a shy girl who could barely finish an entire presentation without someone telling her to speak up to an outgoing girl who can speak in front of 400 people in an auditorium, I have truly evolved. But now, as an evolved person, I've learned how to be a leader to many people. And to those reading this article who are striving to become a leader or currently learning how to be a leader in school clubs or small organizations, keep these short, sweet tips in mind, and you'll be just fine!

1. Be assertive.

Last year, two of the most influential people in my life told me this. Prior to becoming the president of Northview High School's Beta Club, I was timid and submissive. Oftentimes, I found myself apologizing over and over again if I made a mistake, and I always asked what I should do. Each time I did something, I always asked for someone's approval in the club, but after listening to the previous Beta President and Beta sponsor, I stepped up. I spoke with a loud and clear voice during Beta Club meetings, and I became capable to tell other officers what we, as a club, need to achieve each week. I finally became assertive.

The moral of this is to be assertive. Even if you're the most timid person in the entire world, you can do it. Nothing is impossible. Assertiveness showcases your leadership skills and that you can lead a group of people, regardless if the number is 50 or a million. Just be assertive.

2. You are the arbitrator.

Throughout the year, the Beta Officer team consisting of 16 people often had some conflicts. There were many occasions when we had conflicting opinions that led to drama. Some were resolved easily, but some involved interventions. When doing so, the other Beta p\President and I called for a meeting among the officers to discuss the issue face to face. Back then, I remember feeling conflicted because I always imagined the Beta Officer team as a second family to me. Seeing everyone fight was almost shattered my heart to pieces. Of course, I had my opinion of the side of the argument. I had to step up and become the arbitrator of the argument. The purpose of being a leader is to make sure everyone gets along. Becoming a leader means becoming the glue that holds the group together. Whether or not it's fixing silly arguments, a leader is meant to ensure that everyone gets along.

3. Know when to separate work from friends.

This year, I believe that the Beta Officer board in Northview High School has never felt more like a family than it does now. We all are obnoxious together. We share secrets together. We joke around with each other. I've never felt happier. To be honest, I consider each and every Beta Officer as my close friend as consider me (hopefully). However, I couldn't be everyone's friend all the time. There were times when I did have to get serious. In fact, during meetings, I couldn't joke around with my friends. When my friends, who work alongside me as an officer, ask me for approval on certain volunteer opportunities, I tend to talk in a different way to them than I do regularly. A leader must be able to know when to separate work from friends. We can't let our friends influence our decisions as a leader. As a leader, you are meant to lead those and to give out instructions to people on what to do. A leader has to realize when it's time to stop goofing around and to get down to business.

4. You are the role model.

There was a time during this year when as the Beta President, I stepped out of line. Due to certain circumstances, I acted in an un-presidential-like manner. What was worse was that I behaved this way in front of the officers, which was the worst thing I could have done. I discussed this certain event with my sponsor and the other co-president, and they both gave me the same advice: as a leader, you are a role model to the other officers. This message became very important to me due to the fact that I began to fully comprehend what becoming a leader is. I realized that I would never want to see any of the officers copying what I did during that unfortunate moment. I would never want them doing that in the future. The purpose of this tip is to remember that each and every action you take is important. It's almost as if you're a celebrity, and you have to be careful of your actions because many of your fans look up to you. As a leader, many officers will look up to you and follow your actions. If you show responsibility and true dedication, others will follow in pursuit.

5. Don't lose sight of who you are.

There was a moment in time during the first few weeks of school when I began to try and drop my entire personality in order to become more "leader-like." I disliked my shy personality that often led others to stomp on me. I hated feeling like that, so I decided to leave behind my old self and become someone who was entirely confident and assertive 24/7. I soon realized that was absolutely ridiculous. I was chosen to become Co-President of the Northview Beta club because of who I was: shy, kind, intelligent and sweet. These characteristics were the reasons as to why the Beta Sponsor deemed me as appropriate for the position of co-president.

The moral of this story is that I almost lost sight of who I was, but in that moment, I chose to take a moment to love myself. I was chosen to lead because of who I am. There's no reason for me to change myself or to try and forget who I was. Even if I was timid, so what? I improved. But losing sight of who you are? Unacceptable. As a leader, don't forget the morals you follow. Be you!

6. It's okay if you don't know what to do.

This tip is rather simple. There was a time when I had absolutely no idea what to do or say when a member of the Beta Club asked me a question. It's perfectly OK. At first, I told the member that I would get back to him, and I will email him back immediately right after I discuss it with the other offices. Later on, all I did was ask my sponsors and co-president what to say. Not everyone knows everything. Even Albert Einstein had more things to learn about each day. The best solution when you are confronted with a situation you have no idea how to solve is to just say "I'll get back to you." It's that simple. You don't always have to have an answer that moment.

7. YOU are the leader.

This is the most important reminder of all: you are the boss. Never forget it because you are a leader. You are the one people look up to. Be proud of yourself because being a leader is the most amazing gift anyone could ask for. Becoming the President of Northview High School's Beta Club and President-Elect of our UNICEF's club is the best thing I could ever ask for in life. Even if it was unexpected, I've never felt more proud of myself of being leading two clubs that serve a meaningful purpose in life.