Time's Up Folks
Politics

Time's Up Folks

My thoughts on the movement taking the nation by storm.

82
Time's Up Folks
Brandon Wilson

Yes. Absolutely yes. The Time’s Up movement has got it going on. The more I investigate the movement, the more impressed I am by the work and plan put into the plan. I had heard about the movement and see the social media posts after the Golden Globes of all the ladies wearing black, but I did not ever think to go to the website. The other week I did a search to prepare for a debate on campus on the Time’s Up movement and now I want to tell everyone about it.

It started in response to the #MeToo Movement. The movement that picked up last fall started the conversation and broke down walls. Now there is a full-fledged plan to fight against sexual harassment and assault.

• There is a legal defense fund in place. This part of the plan is fantastic. Why? Because legal fees are expensive and not everyone has a Hollywood sized paycheck. The fund and program assist lower income individuals. All you must do is submit a request online and information gets sent to you. “I don’t know who to talk too or what to do.” Well that’s okay because now there is a system set in place to help you.
  • Legislation! By including legislation in the mission of the movement, there is pressure on law makers to ensure legal protections in place. The legislation is looking to target companies that are not doing anything about sexual harassment claims. By putting the pressure on companies, those in charge will no longer be able to sweep issues under the rug.
  • Gender Parity! This part of the goal is more specific for studio and talent agencies, but success should have rippling effects into other lines of work. By focusing on one area of work at a time, advocates won’t have to spread resources too thin.

People keep questioning if the movement has accomplished what it set out to, but it has not been around long enough for change. The goals set forth by the movement are not for short term success. Everybody involved is ready for a long fight and they have one heck of a plan.