It's Time To Respect The Sports Women

It's Time To Respect The Sports Women

Let's all agree that women know sports because they do.

58
It's Time To Respect The Sports Women
Pxhere

Today's society has been trying to fix the issues of past generations more and more each day. One issue that still lingers around though, is the place of women in sports. There are numbers of issues about women in today's society that we could go on forever about. And when I say "issues about women", I am not saying women are the problem of course, but there are various issues that surround them. Sports is just one of them.

Women have been told that they can't possibly talk about sports because it's "a man's game." Obviously, this is wrong because women play sports professionally as well. Even though their games are not covered nearly enough. They have proven to be a special bunch of females who know how to play their respective games.

There does arise the "concern" that a woman can't talk about NBA or NFL because they didn't play that sport, especially with the NFL.

I remember when Cam Newton, quarterback for the Carolina Panthers, chuckled and laughed at a female reporter's question on routes and various plays. Newton said, "It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes ." He said this comment in a condensing tone and one that was unwarranted.

Some of you are probably saying that he didn't mean it or to just relax because it was a joke. Well no, we cannot calm down because this behavior is unprofessional and downright disrespectful. He also never answered her question in the slightest way.

This type of unconscious sexism towards women in sports is something that truly frustrates me. The reason is that I know plenty of women can and will be able to do a great job at either reporting, playing or talking about sports. Even the sports they are not allowed to play.

I'll take myself for example. If my family wants to know something about sports, then they will come to me about it. I love sports and aspire to be a sports journalist, so I would know a lot about the sports world. But, no matter how much I study the game of basketball and learn as much as possible. I would never surpass Doris Burke in terms of basketball knowledge.

Burke is a well-known analyst for college and NBA basketball. She is well-respected and many analysts on ESPN regard her as the "goddess of basketball." You do not want to get into a debate about basketball with her. Because the result won't be pretty for you.

This is just one example of how a woman can do the job of reporting and analyzing a male-dominated sport. Women must be respected in sports in my opinion. I have a firm belief of if you have studied, learned and have a ton of experience with something then you should have an equal chance of doing whatever a man can do. This notion that women need to work twice as harder than men is sadly true to this day, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I want to finish with how people view female athletes. It is no secret the female athletes are held to a different standard than their male counterparts. If a female athlete shows emotion on a certain play, then she is rude or "is having a bad day." But, when a male athlete shows emotion like anger or crying then he has "passion" for the game.

There is no difference between a man or a woman showing strong emotions in the heat of the moment in a game. I see this trend of women being in a bad mood or just way too aggressive in Serena Williams.

I challenge any man to go head-to-head with Williams. I will bet my entire life savings (which isn't much yet) on her winning. If you don't know who Serena Williams is, she is the greatest tennis player of all-time. That goes for male or female and please try to debate me on this because you will get embarrassed. Anyway, her physical form and aggression on the tennis court is iconic and should be praised.

Rather it is ridiculed countless times and people can't get over her being a strong, beautiful black woman. She does not try to impress anyone and has become one of the greatest athletes of our generation. I could go on and on about Williams, but I believe you have gotten my point. Female athletes' actions are dissected to frequently and are held to a different standard of male athletes which should be frowned upon.

To conclude, women in sports have come a long way in this misogynistic world of ours. I do have faith in the movement of more women in sports media. Wanting to go into that realm, I love to see the much-needed change of environment. We all can do our part in continuing this wave of change by not putting down women in sports and understand that they are human as well.