Why Tim Tebow Is Wrong About College Students At Football Games

Sorry, Tim Tebow, But College Is About More Than Football

So, apparently, UA students have done nothing for the university because they don't attend the football games. At least, that's what Tim Tebow said.

227
UA stadium

Tim Tebow. UF quarterback, Heisman Trophy winner, All-American kid.

Tim Tebow. I always liked him. His commitment to the sport, even though I don't really care much about the sport, his determination to continue being an athlete even when the NFL didn't work out, and, most of all, his faith.

I always loved his fearlessness to show his faith on the field, crediting God for everything. It made Tebow unique, special - a real shining light in a stereotypical environment.

But, once he left UF and, ultimately, the NFL, I never really paid much attention to where he was going. I hadn't heard much about him, honestly, until now.

When the coach of University of Alabama's football team made a controversial comment about Alabama's lackluster fans, Tebow stepped in. Here's what he had to say:

"Listen, I agree with (Saban), I love it. I think the fans are getting so entitled there at Alabama, specifically the students. Listen, as a student, you've done nothing to win all of these titles, okay? You spend a little bit of daddy's money to show up at a game and to go to school there. You say you're the best fans in college football, but you need to show up. I don't care if you're playing Louisiana-whoever or Hoover High School. You show up to the game and you support the team. If you want to say you're the best fans in the country, you show up every game no matter what. Coach Saban is right. Alabama students, you need to show up for your team. Nick Saban's not entitled at all. That's what happens when you win championship after championship and you're also at a place that says they're best fans in college football and the best fans in football. Guess what? Your students need to show up to the game. You're 18- 19- 20-years old. You've done nothing for the University of Alabama. It's your job to show up so you can live out the claims that you're the best fans in college football because we see it in signs all the time. Alright. They need to show up for their team."

Now, I'm not here to bash Tebow. He seems like a great guy, really. Honestly, that's why this struck me so hard. I never expected him to say something like this. But he did, and I think a few points need to be given to the hard-working college students instead of the precious football team for once.

1. Not all UA students, or college students in general, are getting everything paid for by their parents.

Not even close to the case. Does Tebow even realize that students who do notattend school on an athletic scholarship don't have a money tree back home? Some work more than one job or take out student loans to get their degree. Some are going on academic scholarships... scholarships that require a ridiculously high GPA to maintain. Which brings me to my next point...

2. UA students have done plenty for their university.

Tim Tebow did not just say students have done nothing for the university, just because they don't go to the games. Seriously? Like, seriously? That sentence was a lot to take in because, from my experience at a university without a football team, there are hundreds of other ways to contribute to your school without being a football player or a football fan. Including, maintaining a high GPA and making your school known for something more than its sports team.

3. It is most definitely not the job of all UA students to show up to the games.

I get it, he's trying to prove a point. He's trying to bash the fans for calling themselves the best when they don't act like it. But, maybe he could've been more specific in his statement instead of generalizing all UA students into one big group that has a "job" they have to pay for and might not even enjoy. Because, shockingly enough, not every college student can afford to attend the games and/or they might not even enjoy football! No, their job is their academics. Football is extracurricular for most people. If they have time, great, but it is not their job to go to a game.

SEE ALSO: Tim Tebow, You Dragging The UA Student Section Was Ignorant And Hurtful. I'm Forgiving You Anyway

All in all, I still like Tebow. But this statement was not the most eloquent thing he has ever said. It is not the job of a college student to go to a football game; if anything, it is a privilege and reward. Because not all of them are going there on "daddy's money" as Tebow suggests.

Overall, Tim Tebow, please just be kinder in your statements to college students in the future. We're stressed, OK? What you said was not cool.