FTK: Three Letters That Can Change Your Life This Spring

If you want to be a part of any organization at USC, this is the one to partake in.

8
USC Dance Marathon

If you attend a large university, it is very likely you have stumbled across the combination of three letters, FTK, on your timeline at least once. Maybe you had to Google it, or maybe you tried to come up with what the heck that acronym stood for; you soon likely came to the realization that it had some type of importance because of how many times it was posted about.

So what does FTK stand for anyway? It means being For The Kids. Being FTK is a movement cultivated by college students around the country to raise money for the sick kids in the local children’s hospitals through the Children’s Miracle Network. Colleges put on massive events called Dance Marathon to celebrate the work of raising awareness and thousands of dollars raised for the kids. It’s become not just an event, but a movement carried through thousands of students nationwide.

Need a pick me up? Searching for something to do for the weekend? Looking for friends? Wanting to do something bigger than yourself? Going to USC’s Dance Marathon will be the remedy to your every need. You will never witness a group of a thousand students so passionate, driven and motivated in a room together than at the main event for Dance Marathon. It will leave you impacted. It will leave you feeling changed for the better. Those three little letters changed my life five years ago, and my life has never been the same since.

This organization has called me to my passion of serving through philanthropic events and opened my eyes to my particular unwavering love for Dance Marathon. I’ve gotten to see firsthand how the money we are raising is increasing the quality of life for so many young individuals who have gotten dealt an unfair hand at life so far. This organization truly does help so many children and their families get through some of the most challenging times of their lives. I love this organization because we help to brighten the quality of life, and bring hope and love into the lives of those struggling.

Spending my years focused on raising money, and planning incredible events made me know that this was not just a mere resume builder, but this was an organization changing others’ lives, and my life, all along the way. Every year I continue to be truly overcome with more emotion than I ever thought I could emit. The emotion from exhaustion, the dedication, the love and the overwhelming feeling of making such a massive difference in so many kids' lives gives me that push to never stop fighting for the kids.

I encourage you, on Saturday, February 25, to come and embark on an event that may too, change your life, like it has for me. I am confident after attending USC’s Dance Marathon that you will see and feel the heart, the passion and dedication from thousands of your fellow USC students as we work to make the lives of the kids struggling in our community a little brighter.