I Have Three Homes And It's The Best

I Have Three Homes And It's The Best

Three times the friends. Three times the fun. Three times the love.

11
Maddie Rogers

For some people, summer means going back home. The hometown that you went to high school in, where all of your friends come back for the summer too. That's the case for a lot of people, but not for some of us.

For people like me, you go back to your mom or dad's house (depending on where your job is that summer) and you start trying to plan times in your busy work schedule to go to one of your other homes. Those homes are either your sweet little apartment at school or your hometown where all of your people are or the newfound home that you got a fresh start in.

Some people seem to only bring up divorced parents around the holidays. Now, that's not to say that being in a separated family isn't extremely overwhelming over the holidays, but summer is tough for us too. Especially for those of us who are trying to balance the travel between homes on top of school and work and somewhat trying to have a social life. Oh, and also sleep.

I get so overwhelmed sometimes when I think about where I could go and what I could do when I get there every summer, but college has provided the most beautiful opportunity for me by giving me that choice.

I can go to my hometown and be right back in high school again (a blessing and a curse). My hometown has my friends and family and so many priceless memories that bring about the best nostalgia.

I can go to my new home where I don't have to worry about knowing someone every store I walk into and I can do and be whatever I want whenever I want. But I still have the people that care about me spread out down here and I get to be with all of my new friends who don't know me as anything but who I am now.

And I can always go back to my own new home in college. I can go back and be with my roommates and all the people that get me through the stress of the school year.

It's the best kind of crazy having people that love you in so many different places.

I don't have a favorite place to go or favorite people to see, and that's what makes it all so great. I can decide in my busy schedule exactly where I want to go and what I want to do when I get there and who I want to see, and I always know I'll have somewhere to rest my head. So sure, my normal isn't normal for most people, but to tell you the truth, it's kind of starting to grow on me.