Dating: Singleness, Bringing Dating Back, and What I have Learned.

Just some of my thoughts on a hot topic.

8
pexels.com

Writing about dating is really a tricky topic that I never felt qualified to write on. However, the more I thought about it, the more I feel like I have some really insightful inputs on this process! Here are my thoughts on being single, how to bring dating back into our culture, and some tips I personally have learned along the way.

Being Single

Honestly folks, being single can be really difficult at times. When a lot of your friends around you are in a relationship, engaged, or married, it can get discouraging. Sometimes I ask myself this difficult question:

"Why can't I have that?"

After a lot of thought and talking to others, being single is a season that shapes you. Singleness allows you to learn about yourself, know your limits, see where you can grow, and you learn who you are as a person. In everyone's life and it should be treated as such. For those people out there along with myself that are single, embrace it!

Don't treat it as something to be discouraged about. Treat it as a gift to better yourself so when that person comes around, you are able to be the best you can be for them. Also just a side note: celebrate Valentine's Day, even if you are single! I hate it when people say "happy single awareness day." That phrase is just discouraging. Single people on Valentines day get yourself some candy and treat yourself!

All I am saying is that being single can be an amazing gift if we use the time we are given form who we are going to be when the right person comes around.

Bring Dating Back

I am mainly talking to the young men out there. First, I do not care if you are dating or not, as men we all need to be gentleman to every women we encounter. Hold the door open for them, treat them with respect, and show every women that they are the true treasure they actually are.

Second, if you are interested in a girl, don't snapchat, text, or DM her to "hang out." Go up to her and ask her yourself! Ask her to get coffee or a meal! I don't even know what "hanging out" means anymore. We as men have to actually be, well, men! Asking her to coffee does not mean you are going to marry her, it means that you have an interest in getting to know her more. Asking her in person will show her you care. If you go somewhere with a girl to dinner, or even for a drink, and it is just two of you—that is a date.

Guys do not be scared of it, we need to start calling things what they actually are.

What I have learned

I have learned a couple things along the way. First, I have learned that if you listen to a girl that goes a long way. It sounds stupid, but us guys are really bad at listening most of the time. If you make an effort to listen just to listen that will go a long way.

Second, I have learned that girls like to see the guy put in effort. When girls see that a guy is putting work into the relationship, or making and effort to getting to know them, that is always a good sign.

Lastly, communication is key. If you are not interested in a girl or guy in terms of a girlfriend or boyfriend, do not lead her that way. That is how broken hearts happen. It's better to just be honest from the getgo and continue throughout the duration of the relationship.

Obviously I am not an expert, but I hope this helped whoever reads this.