This Land Was Made For You And Me

This Land Was Made For You And Me

My privilege is not an excuse to be unkind or greedy, but is instead a chance to practice grace and the true values of a leader.

8
This Land Was Made For You And Me
queenofclean.com

The core values of the Navy are honor, courage, and commitment. I know this, because I am a military child. I have been to bases in Hawaii, Florida, California, and District of Columbia. I have been raised to be prompt, attentive, driven, determined, and active. I have learned to live with:

"You can do anything you set your mind to"

"As long as you tried your best"

"There are consequences to your actions"

"Listen to your authority figures"

"You have four minutes and thirteen seconds to get to class"

"Where is your watch?"

"What are the words um, yeah, and hey?"

"You would know what the time it is if you wear a watch"

"Set your clock to five minutes late, so that you're always early"

"Being late is disrespectful, wasting people's time is even more"

"If you use words that are stupid, you will sound stupid"

The values of being a military kid have been practiced and preached at me since I was four years old. My stepfather was in the navy, my uncle served in the Cold War, my grandpa served in WWII, and my great-grandpa in WWII. Usually when presented in stressful in fearful situation, despite my genetic dilemma of anxiety, I am also presented with wanting to fight back. I have been told to fight for what I believe in and that I have a place in the world. I am hardly late to anything, and if I am I have a good reason. I address people in positions of authority with respect, but I never let anyone waste my time. I also always know the time, because I always have a watch. The values of being a military kid are ones that have helped me throughout life and kept me a driven individual. They have also kept me a proud American. However this is not going where you think it might be going.

Although I am a military child who has grown up in Western Michigan... I am not a republican despite my nationalism. I am proud of my country without a doubt, but I also recognize that it carries flaws. I am also able to recognize that even though I am connected to the military and my family have served in it... it does not make either of our political opinions correct. Something that I have noticed about some men/women in uniform is that they insist that their opinion is correct, because they have served our country (some not all). Recently I have noticed that more and more people forget the privilege that they hold. The privilege of living in a country where their rights are protected and held in high regard. They forget that what the service men and woman fight for. They fight for our inalienable rights. These rights including our right to religion... I mean any religion (not just Christianity). These rights include freedom of speech and peaceful protest. These rights include our civil freedoms and political rights. One of the things that makes me proud to be an American and even more to be a military child is that my masculine family members have fought for the mixing pot of America. That America prides itself in its diversity of race and religion, whether you be African, Muslim, Chinese, Hindu, Jewish, or Japanese... we are a land of immigrants. Many of these immigrants fleeing in a time of violence to find a home in America. On the statue of liberty it states, "“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”.

Recently while I still have great pride in my country, that pride has not been so apparent. I have seen more and more immigrants being turned away or scorned. I have seen my colored brothers and sisters living in fear from the privilege that others have been carrying like a badge. What keep America great is its people. All its people. What keeps America is great is recognizing that the power resides in the people and NOT the president. What makes me proud to be an American is not an "American first" attitude. Instead it has been when America has been a leader for others in a time of need. Instead it has been when America stopped seeing people has price tags in how it would effect their economics, but people with real needs in a humanitarian crisis. I am proud that my family has fought for our country and have instilled great values of leadership. However I am not proud when my country is discriminatory, selfish, and unkind. I can still be a proud American and recognize that I disagree with my president and think that he is un-American. While I may be driven and loyal, what makes me proud to be an American, is recognizing that I can also be a helping hand to someone in need. I can recognize that I have privilege and help those less fortunate than me. My privilege is not an excuse to be unkind or greedy, but is instead a chance to practice grace and the true values of a leader. The type of leader that my parents have instilled in me and what truly make me American.