This Isn't Just Four Years
Politics

This Isn't Just Four Years

The 2016 Election will be with us far longer than four years.

12
This Isn't Just Four Years
Stephen Melkisethian

What happened on Nov. 8 is nothing less than a tragedy. I do not care who you voted for — that's done now. I care that some of you think this is a storm we will weather for just four years. No. This election will haunt us for far longer than that.

Some people might have forgotten that there is already one seat up for nomination in the Supreme Court. But there will likely be two more vacancies in these next four years. The people who rule on and decide what our Constitution means and interprets our laws will be appointed with reactionary judges who will follow the lead of the government who elected them. Supreme Court justices are not elected and do not concede to limits on their post. Their views will remain until they retire or die — meaning the views of this new conservative and truly divisionist government, will far out last these four years.

For those of you that think there's a chance for impeachment, I hope you don't hold your breath. As many focus on the presidential election, another key element to this circus is that the Senate is now in a Republican majority. Only a majority vote in the (Republican-controlled) House can bring articles of impeachment forward to a trial in the Senate. And again, the close races Democrats were attempting to claim in the Senate, were lost. Senate seats are up every six years which means until more close seats in key states are up for election, this new government will proceed with its policies uninhibited.

As the election progressed and Trump continued his inflammatory remarks against large portions of U.S. citizens, he woke an ugly beast — a terrible, reactionary, archaic, monster that is racist, xenophobic, homophobic and sexist. He brought out the worst in the United States and labeled it "Making America Great Again."

These disgusting sentiments will not disappear after four years, not after this grand revitalization of the "Other." He's turned all POC into the "Others," he's turned all members of the LGBTQ communities into "Others," he's turned all members of different religions (most namely the Jewish and Muslim faiths) into "Others," and he's turned women into something that is less than human; not to mention women who fall in any or all categories I've listed above.

If you voted for Trump, I want you to know that I won't ever hate you for your choice. But I do want you to understand that if you are excited for this presidency, if you feel secure in your choice, then you truly come from a place of privilege. I need you to know that. Your right to vote has secured your future for the next four years and in that, your privilege has been exercised. You chose a candidate who may have your best interest but what about the rest of the country and its people?

I am a white, heterosexual woman. I know I come from a place of privilege compared to some but also a place of discrimination compared to others. I am scared for so many people, including myself. Will my few rights to my own body be stripped from me? Will my right to life be taken by someone else's rights to own a gun? Will my right to be paid the same as anyone else be taken away simply because I'm a woman? And will my right to walk down the street be infringed upon because someone believed it was their right to assault my body?

The fact that there's a possibility that groups who are discriminated against may have less opportunity than they did in years previous is a disgrace to the United States, a nation built on the ideals of progress and equality. Our principles and ability for pragmatism should never have been set aside in favor of dogmatism and fear tactics.

But this is our new reality. And I will pray the next four years do not eclipse in war or the destruction of our institutions or the increased subjugation of our people. I will pray for a candidate who gives way to reason and progress and will attempt to counter act the negativity and hate that won this November.

But there is one thing I know for certain in this period of extreme uncertainty: I will never call him President. He needs my respect for that.