What Your Bowling Green State U Major Says About You

What does your major say about you?

33

At BGSU, we're a diverse community, where our passions are a driving force in what we want to study. For myself, I love to use numbers to make decisions, so that led me to study Applied Statistics. For the majors listed below, here's what your major says about you.

1. Tourism, Leisure, and Event Planning (TLEP)

What this says about you is that you're caring about others' needs. You have a great ability to understand what clients, customers, and people expect or desire from a specific experience. You also possess the willingness to take the initiative. You want to be in charge and also make absolute certain that you've planned for anything that could happen during the preparation process, and to take the lead, but you work well with everyone.

2. Music

You're a dedicated person who puts the work in. You have the heart for the existence of different timbres and sound textures, and you love the way that these timbres and sound textures can be adjusted or produced. As a music major, you understand what it takes to master your instrument, your language, and you have the ability to put on a show for other people to enjoy. You are also able to accept constructive criticism and hard coaching from instructors, for your growth and development in your instrument. You are a passionate person and have big dreams and ambitions/expectations, and you'll try your best to meet them. You work better solo but collaboration is also a strong suit.

3. Visual Communications & Technology (VCT)

As a VCT Major, you have a great deal of imagination and perception through things like photo or video. You take your work very seriously. If you're doing a photo shoot, you want to have the best quality images, or if you film and produce videos, you want not only the best quality, but to also have smooth transitions. You do the behind-the-scenes work in what we would see on YouTube, and you learn about the importance of quality. Quality is your top priority, and you make sure that your productions are among the best. You also look for clarity of image and you'll put in the proper editing and adjustments to maximize it.

4. Mathematics

As a major in mathematics, you have a strong passion about theory and concepts. You take pride in trying to understand the sum of a Taylor series, or to understand that 3*1 = 3 is called a multiplicative identity, or 5+(-5) is an additive inverse. You're also passionate about problem solving through calculating probabilities or doing likelihoods. Your mind is constantly thinking, and it's great.

5. Statistics

You enjoy prediction, analysis, likelihood testing, and identifying trends or changes. You love to calculate averages, to test hypotheses, design and analyze experiments, and use numbers to make decisions. You are strategic in your approach and take percentages into consideration. You are careful in your decision making.

6. Psychology

You consistently prove that you're up for a challenge. You get told a lot that you take easy classes to boost your GPA, but your coursework is no joke. It really is rigorous too. As a psychology major, you take pride in understanding the way people think, whether it's looking at volumes in a cup or Maslow's hierarchy, and understanding how people behave, whether it's understanding Pavlov's Dog experiment, the Stanford prison trial, Altoids in The Office, or even Sheldon Cooper giving Penny chocolate for being obedient in the Big Bang Theory. You find ways to understand people and connect with them.

7. Education

You expect the best out of others and you'll do whatever you can to get it. Your demanding style is going to rub some the wrong way, but you show that you care by being demanding, since you're demanding but fair. You know how to discipline someone when they don't pay attention, and you certainly know how to teach. You'll have a positive impact on everybody who you encounter because they will learn something from you. You'll have their full attention since you are an educator, first and foremost. It's just in your DNA.

8. Biology

What is the study of life? Well, you would know, wouldn't you? Bio is the pre-fix for life, and "ology" represents 'the study of,' so Biology is the study of life. But in all honesty, you have a strong understanding of bodily function, what genetic over-expression can do for physical traits, or what processes take place in the kidney, and as a result, you're great at identifying little intricacies in their subject matter and have a keen attention to detail. You'll spot a mistake before you even look for it, and you just know.

9. Dietetics

You have a very high regard for your health and your life. It starts with your eating habits, and having the proper intake to take care of yourself. You have a strong knowledge of what this is and you'll help those who want to reach their goals, to actually reach their goals. You set a positive example because you take care of yourself. One of your primary sayings is, "Eat well, feel well."

10. Communications

You love to express your feelings. You see things a certain way, and you react a certain way too. You're not afraid to voice your opinions, and that's worth respecting. You know how to express your emotions in a controlled fashion, such that you don't explode in front of people or hurt anybody's feelings, but you stick by what you feel. You find a way to have people agree with you and connect with you, having a unique level of understanding and seeing eye-to-eye. You find a way to get along with people, even if you don't see 100% eye-to-eye with them. You're able to adapt well to different environments and you handle yourself professionally.

At BGSU there are many more than just ten major programs, but these majors have some very devoted students who work to perfect their craft. If your major isn't listed here, comment below and write what your major is. Cue Lamont Jordan, "This is how we do it."